cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'vesucceeded where BT failed ... :-D

N/A

Further to my recent post about being unable to get ADSL due to the distance of my house from the exchange, I've managed to beat BT at their own game.

Having read a few other forums about being "too far for ADSL", I read that the choice of router can make a big difference.

So, on a hunch and a few recommendations, I went down to the local Comet and bought a Linksys WAG54G (V2), plugged it in and, hey presto, we're up and running !!

My SNR now fluctuated between 1db and 6db :shock: , which is just on the limit, but, as it works, it's good enough for me Cheesy

Below are my current stats from the router ...

DSL Status:			UP  	   	 

DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT
DSL Path Mode: FAST
Downstream Rate: 576 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 288 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 2 db
Upstream Margin: 11 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 63
Upstream Line Attenuation: 31
Downstream Transmit Power: 0
Upstream Transmit Power: 0

I can't find any error stats (anyone know where to look ?), but I'm surfing at 430Kbps which, although not great, isa whole lot better than dialup.
8 REPLIES
N/A

Nice one mpfjackson Tongue
Glad to hear you can now get adsl
although somewhat limited, it beats dial up hands down Wink
mundiz

I have the same router and my stats are:

DSL Status: UP
DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT
DSL Path Mode: FAST
Downstream Rate: 2272 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 288 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 31 db
Upstream Margin: 31 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 18
Upstream Line Attenuation: 7
Downstream Transmit Power: 0
Upstream Transmit Power: 0

My connection is like treacle ( 0 to 120 Kbps downstream). Plusnet keep passing the fault to BT and BT keep passing it back and asking me to do line speed tests in the middle of the night.

I am getting really p****d off as I am only 200 yards from the exchange. Ive even offered to run an extention down there for them.

I'll get back to nagging Plusnet again and do yet more speed tests.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... Evil :twisted: Sad Sad Sad
N/A

Downstream Margin: 31 db
Upstream Margin: 31 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 18
Upstream Line Attenuation: 7

My connection is like treacle ( 0 to 120 Kbps downstream).

Wow ... with stats like that you should be good for 8Mbps, not 120Kbps !!

Hope you get it sorted out soon. Do you know if it's possible to get CRC / packet errors stats on our router ?

BTW, I was zooming along last night with a SNR of *only* 1db ... :shock:
N/A

another good router for distance runs is the zoom v5.
since buying one, my whole line connection sync'ing has improved tremendously.
i guess they are like nic cards...some can go the distnce with speed and some cant..... Cool

BTW, I was zooming along last night with a SNR of *only* 1db ...
lol...too funny... Cheesy
madswitcher
Grafter

Hi All from a gloriously sunny Bucks

Another modem router to try is the Draytek. You can get a special set of firmware especially for low s/n situations. It made a diffeence of about 6 dB in my case.

Cheers, Mike
Geez
Grafter

I am getting really p****d off as I am only 200 yards from the exchange. Ive even offered to run an extention down there for them

I read that someone was only 100 yds from their exchange but their line went on a really circuitous route and the line length was actually 1.5 miles! :shock:

Any idea which direction your line runs?
mundiz

I used to know a number that BT engineers run to test the distance to your exchange but senelity has set in and I have forgotten. Can anyone enlighten me?
N/A

Used to be BT line test - 17070

Dont think this works correctly anymore, probably a partial block to stop the consumer from using it!