cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I thought PN Premier was a 30:1 Contention?

N/A

Is it me or have I missed something...? I thought PN Premier was 30:1 Contention?

People keep going on about since moving from 20:1 to a 50:1 such and such a thing has happened. According to the PN premier service we are on a 30:1 contention or did I not attend school that day.
2 REPLIES
N/A

30:1 is the PlusNet netowkr contention, whilst 50:1 is the level of contention you can see on the BT side of the connection.

Each part of a network has a contention ratio, even your own network and right the way through to any destination server.

On your network, it's however many computers v's how many connections you have. So two computers and one connection is 2:1.

The BT side of things is how many users share a section of dedicated backhaul into the BT network, and how the rest of the BT network handles it. In this case, 20: 1 or 50:1(50:1 in most cases)

PlusNets own internal network can also then post problems when your data gets there. PlusNet state that they gurentee a ratio of 30:1 for premier customers.

Unfrotunatly, ISPs don't have control over the contention past their own network.
N/A

I see!

Thanks for that!. I thought someone had switched PN to a differant contention without being notified. :lol: