cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I need a lot of help

N/A

I think I need alot of help
I have applied for broadband and it should be active in afew days.
I know that I need a asdl modem but after reading a few post I think that for future proofing a wireless/modem/router/firewall would be better.

I have no knowledge of any of these products, so where should I start ?
I have a blank page, you have experience and hindsight,
can you help ?
9 REPLIES
N/A

The most important thing is to decide what's best for you. You need to look at your needs, and base your purchase on that. For example, if you only have 1 machine, and only ever intend on having one machine, a router may not be the correct choice.

There is a very good article here which will help you decide which is best Smiley
N/A

If you want to future-proof, as you put it, I would recommend not buying an all-in-one wireless/ADSL/modem/router, but buy separate products. This will, admittedly, be more expensive, but will give you greater flexibility in the long term.

For example, as far as I'm aware, the current generation of wireless/modem/routers are all IEEE802.11b wireless devices. But IEEE802.11g is increasingly emerging as the norm these days, so much better (in my view) to buy a separate IEEE802.11g wireless access point.

This will also mean you have a much wider choice of devices, both in terms of your ADSL router and wireless access point. It makes choosing harder, though! It does also mean you can defer the wireless purchase if you want to.

If you do decide to purchase separate devices, the wireless device does not need to be a "wireless router" or "wireless gateway" (but it can if you want that extra flexibility or future-proofing), a straightforward "wireless access point" will do the trick. You will probably find a wireless gateway/router more difficult to configure, a point which should be clear from several threads in this forum.
N/A

At this time there is only 1 PC but soon to be 2 PC and 1 Laptop.
So should I buy ethernet modem now and a wireless router later?
N/A

Hi All

While the conversation is about getting equipment for broadbandI may I pop in here with a question I am having difficulty getting my head around.We have 2 computers that we wish to hook up to broadband when it arrives in a month and a bit.

Am I correct in assuming that as they both have RJ-45 sockets which I believe to be ethernet connections,both rated 10/100/1000 whatever,that I do not have to get eternet modems,and can simply connect cables between the computers and the router, and if this is the case what type of router should I be asking for?

Ian & Linda Jordan
Community Veteran

You need a router with a built in hub or switch. Check the relevent post in the Tutorials and FAQs forum.

Chris
N/A

You will always need a modem of some sort, otherwise the ADSL connection won't work. However, if you purchase an ADSL Router, it is a modem and a hub/switch in one. This allows you to easily share the connection between many computers.

Once you have the router setup up, you just need to run an ethernet cable from PC-1 to a socket on the router, and run another cable from PC-2 to another socket on the router.
N/A

You need a router with a built in hub or switch. Check the relevent post in the Tutorials and FAQs forum.

Thanks for the pointer Chris,it was just a matter of confirming for myself that they just plug into something without the need for further purchases.

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

Would you recommend any modems as particularly good?
N/A

If you're going to have two PCs fairly much straight away, I would buy an ADSL Router in the first instance, and one of the many models with a 4-port switch built in. If your two PCs are then equipped with Ethernet cards (which you can now purchase for just a few pounds each), then you simply need cables to connect them to the ports on the router.

Assuming you'll want to use wireless protocols for the laptop, and that you don't expect to have that for a while, I would certainly defer purchasing a wireless access point (or wireless router, whichever you decide upon) until later. Prices will come down in the meantime, and you will get more bang for your buck. It also means you don't have the added complication of wireless right from the start -- get the standard kit working first, and then move on from there. If you don't have any other wireless equipment yet, you wouldn't even be able to test it out!

In terms of the ADSL router, I've never seen anyone here recommend the one I use(!), so I'll do it: it's the SpeedTouch 510. I bought mine from DSLSource and I consider their service to have been excellent (go for the 4-port model, and the v4 will give you UPnP). The reality is there are many good routers available, some of which are reviewed on the ADSLGuide website.