cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I moved from BT with 2mb line and now only have 1mb with PN

N/A

Hi,
I used to use BT for the internet and had a 2mb line. The exchange is less then a 1/4 mile away. I decided to move to Plus Net as they are cheaper and would provide up to 8mb at no extra cost. Now that I've moved to Plusnet I only get 1mb !! and no outlook on a date for the 8mb service. Why am I only getting 1mb now when I had 2mb with BT?? When will I at least get up to the same speed as I had with BT? The technical support team at PN are not been able to provide me with an answer. Should I have staid with BT??

Has anyone had a similar experience and if so was the speed finally upgraded to the same as BT?Huh
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Was this a migration of a cease & reprovide. If a cease then it's possible BT decided your line would not support 2Mbs when they setup ADSL again - usually this is due to the wromg info being inthe BT database. If a migration, it should have been a like-for-like move so your speed should not have changed.

EIther way you should raise a ticket and get it investigated.

Also before you raise a ticket, what are you using to determin your speed. Is it the sync seed with the exchange or a download test?
N/A

Hi and thanks for the quick response. I ceased the service with BT first and then moved provider to PlusNet. I raised a ticket and a fault on the line was identified which BT has now resolved, but I can still only get 1mb. I’ve used the test facility on the ADSLGUIDE web site as well as the information provided by my Netgear router which is below :-

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 13 db 4.5 db
Noise Margin 31 db 28 db

I have disconnected the router and reconnected it to see if this has given me a new connection speed at the 2mb speed, but no luck so far.

I’ve also called BT who advised me that as I’m only about ¼ mile away from the exchange, I should be able to have 2mb (as I had this before). They also advised me that the exchange was being upgraded to 8mb, so I should have no problems with the new 8mb service – when it becomes available.

Thanks again, I would appreciate any hep you can give as I’m keen to get back to the 2mb speed and obviously look forward to 8mb – when it becomes available.
Community Veteran

The only people that can help with this is PlusNet via the ticket system.
Karmik
Grafter

Similar situation to me, see this thread. Pretty much covers it.

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40799
N/A

Did you eventually get upgraded to 2Mb or are you still on 1Mb??

I raised a ticked regarding my situation and got the following reply(s)

1)Please be advised that if we have had to reprovide the line, the information that BT have on the line itself shows that it may only support 1Mbit.

However, if you can prove otherwise with your router statistics, please add them to this ticket and we can action a regrade to 2Mnit.

2) we are unable to advise as bt records show that you line is only capable of running at 1mb, sorry for any confusion ref this matter.

Regards, Michael Davis

This is what the BT ADSL Checker states for my line :-
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.
Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 3Mbps or greater.
The actual ADSL Max line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use, after which time the highest stable rate possible will be set.
If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

I basically have 2 question

1) will Plusnet change my line to the same as I had with BT ie 2mb – it’ looks like PN wont!!
2) If I stay with PN, will I be able to be use the new MaXDSL. ?? According to the note I received from PN – as follows :- Should the line take it, you will shortly be upgrade to the MaXDSL product if available.

Regards, Anthony Thompson. The indication here is yes – but I’m not 100% sure

Despite the note ,I need to get a definite answer regarding MaXDSL. If the answer is no then I will move back to BT.

Who in PlusNet can give a definitive answer?
Karmik
Grafter

No, they haven't upgraded me. This was the last contact they gave me:

Actioned : Dear Mr nixon,
We will provide you with the fastest speed on your line. However, BT are currently processing over 6 million line regrade requests which will take some time to complete. In order to assist them with this, we are only allowed to submit a limited number of orders per day to stagger the load. We will contact you once your regrade order has been completed.

Regards,

What can say to that? What's really annoying is that when I chose the move house option, I also chose to pay the extra regrade fee. Nothing said that this wouldn't be done. You seem to be being given the same poor answers as me.
If it was me, and only had to pay 47 quid to go, I would. But I have 2 deferred fee's to pay.