cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm new to this...

N/A

I'm new to this...

Broadband Plus has just been activated in my house, and the ADSL USB modem came this morning. I have been connected for over an hour now and have not managed to use any P2P software or accept file transfers on MSN. Please could someone help me, and also could you recommend any good routers to use? There is 4 people in my house wanting to use the connection. One of my housemates bought a cheap router in China but it doesn't have a built in modem, and I don't think the USB modem will be able to connect to it? Is there any way round this or should we just buy a new router?
4 REPLIES
N/A

I'm new to this...

With regards to the router.

You are correct in assumuing the USB modem will not work with it.

You have 2 choices.

1: Purchase a Ethernet ADSL modem which will essentialy convert ADSL traffic into standard ethernet traffic.

This will allow you to use your friends existing router.

2: Purchase a combined ADSL router & modem unit.

With regards to using P2P.

Are you sure it is not connecting, or is it just running very very slow?

If you are somebody looking to use P2P applications, then Broadband Plus is not going to be the package for you.
N/A

I'm new to this...

Whilst we're on the subject, could someone please paste or direct me to router settings? Thanks
Community Veteran

I'm new to this...

Router settings for what router?
N/A

I'm new to this...

oh so it is router specific..not isp specific? well we are doing it now, i have set up a network with one of my housemates now. basically we are making my computer the one connected to the ADSL USB Modem, and she is connected to the router as part of a LAN. she is able to connect me to the Internet from her laptop at the moment, but she can't access internet herself. We're just putting in the settings now...any other tips?