cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I lose my .co.uk domain name ... Whaaat!!!

N/A

I'm a bit miffed that after trying to read up thoroughly the implications of upgrading to ADSL .... when finally clicking that button to authorise payment, that the next screen asked if I'd like to have a .co.uk domain for £1 a month ... and Oh - by the way, your current .co.uk domain name is cancelled!!!

Cheers! Thanks for that - I almost cancelled. I'm left with a sour taste in my mouth after that.

It was bad enough that "upgrading" brought no benefit whatsoever. A new user would have exactly the same deal.

Cheers! - you don't value your customers then.

And Wannado is cheaper - comparing like for like deals:: £17.99 per month for a 2Gb limit @ 512k with no setup fee + free modem compared to +net's £16.49 per month + £58.54 activation. I worked it out that over 3 years +net is still dearer by £12 - after that the ballpark would undoubtedly have changed and it'd be time to move on.
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran

There should not be a problem transfering any domain you currently have. I would certainly query this with PlusNet as it does not sound correct to me.
N/A

here's the page content...

Personalise your email and Internet address with unique domain name

You can register a '.co.uk' domain name from PlusNet along with your account. Choose from any available name to create your own personal e-mail and Internet address. Just £1 (inc VAT) per month.

Please note that this will replace any free .co.uk Domain on your current account - if you do not opt for this you will loose any free .co.uk Domain on your account.

x . . I want a '.co.uk' domain with my account for £1 per month
x . . No thank you

You must select an option
Community Veteran

As I said, query it with Plusnet via a contact us ticket as I'm sure you can arrange to not lose you domain and transfer it to be your inclusive domain for £1/month.

At least you could do, maybe that has changed for the new broadband home products.
N/A

thanks for your help/ sympathy but no ...stick -em!
N/A

In which case, two questions.

1: Why are you bothering to post here?

2: If you have failed to contact PlusNet without querying this, then bully for you, but it's doubtfuly ou will get any sympathy.

If you are attempting to swade people away from PlusNet, you have failed. Why? Because your own failure to do anything about, and expect 100% babysitting through it, shows the value of your comments.

With regards to the price. That is indeed true, but people forget the other differances between the services from Wanadoo and PlusNet.

1: No CGI
2: No fax-2-email
3: No referals
4: Poor customer support

These things cost. The question should not be "Why are PlusNet dearer", but "Why are Wanadoo so cheap".

PlusNets business model means that they offer no idioticly prices packages. Rather than hide any costs, they price them in full public view.

This means, seperate activation and hardware costs.

Wanadoo use the subsidisation system. This means they take money from other areas of the business, to try and pay for costs.

What does this mean? Well, it means with Wanadoo, they are allready in debt by taking on a customer. Because the customer has only paid the first months subscription, however, they didn't get any money for the activation or modem.

With PlusNet, this means they have recovered all costs, and are not in debt. They can focus on providing a quality service without loss.

These debts impare other aspects of the service.Including the inability to offer extra services and the poor customer support.

Is it truely all about cost only? If it is, then your being ripped off.
N/A

I'm trying to be honest. Sorry if that offends you acarr. Yes, I should not have sworn, and I apologise for that.

If you are attempting to swade people away from PlusNet, you have failed. Why? Because your own failure to do anything about, and expect 100% babysitting through it, shows the value of your comments.

- You're talking nonsense here. Try to explain yourself better.

CGi!!! You're having a laugh right! I've worked on an Amstrad 512 that'd blast that server out of the water. It's little more than a hollow enticement to advertise CGI as a feature of +net. Hahaha - [ROTFL]

Customer support - that's subjective

Referals - fine - very effective free advertising -

Wannadoo also has bonus features (go check 'em yourself if you really want to know!)

The business systems you refer to are far more complicated than you intimate. Both +net and Wannadoo are in the game to make a buck. Wake up and smell the mustard.

By writing here i'm trying to draw to +net's attention an annoying feature in the sign-up/ upgrade process. I think they do a good job on the whole but I also think there's always room for improvement and that a company should always listen to it's customers.
N/A

CGi!!! You're having a laugh right! I've worked on an Amstrad 512 that'd blast that server out of the water. It's little more than a hollow enticement to advertise CGI as a feature of +net. Hahaha - [ROTFL]

In which case,t hat begs the question. What is wrong with it?

As far as this service goes, it is up on par with most high grade offering I have used in the hosting world.

The business systems you refer to are far more complicated than you intimate. Both +net and Wannadoo are in the game to make a buck. Wake up and smell the mustard.

I know this full well, as pointed out in my post. What this boils down to is who hides there prices where.

PlusNet keep them open and honest.

Wanadoo hide there costs, or where not hidden, remove function from other places to subsidise it.

I havn't looked at Wanadoos bonus features no. However, how do wanadoo pay for them if margins are so low?

By writing here i'm trying to draw to +net's attention an annoying feature in the sign-up/ upgrade process. I think they do a good job on the whole but I also think there's always room for improvement and that a company should always listen to it's customers.

Understood, however, all I am seen so far is a moan. As in, there is little/no exaplination exactly pointing out what is wrong.

I can see the pointers to where you looking at, but nothing stating exactly what you think is wrong with it.
glyndev
Grafter

Customer support - that's subjective

Wannadoo CS ends at 22:00. +net is 24/7

Referals - fine - very effective free advertising -

Do Wannadoo have a similar system wherebye users can gain discounts on their monthly subscriptions by placing a small banner add on their site.

At least +net are not like some isp's where you are forced to have a big banner add or popup on every page.

Wannadoo also has bonus features (go check 'em yourself if you really want to know!)

Answer this question for me.

If Wannadoo are so good with everything, why do several of my friends who work for Wannadoo CS and get a freeor subsidised Wannadoo account prefer to use other isp's. At least one uses +net.

Says a lot about the service when even their own staff won't use them.

It is a very simple business plan at Wannadoo i.e. give a crap service for the money you are paying and use a part of that money to subsidise signing up of new customers including a bonus to staff for signing up new customers.

Even their more expensive products are cappedfor usage. Are we?

You have drawn it to +net's attention. But rather than lambasting them in your first post and then saying *%$@@ em in your second post it would have been more reasonable to ask if anyone else had come accross this or had a problem with this in the past. Many others ( of which I am one) have used the upgrade feature as you have done and have not had a roblem with their existing domain name..

There is room for improvement with anything in life not just isp's. +net do listen and are very good at listening. If the service is lacking or looks as though there is a problem they will investigate and resolve the problem.

If they did not listen why did they set up these forums which include "Customer Feedback" and "Ideas and Suggestions".
N/A

Understood, however, all I am seen so far is a moan. As in, there is little/no exaplination exactly pointing out what is wrong.

when finally clicking that button to authorise payment, that the next screen asked if I'd like to have a .co.uk domain for £1 a month ... and Oh - by the way, your current .co.uk domain name is cancelled!!!

I went through the process of applying for an upgrade to ADSL, after I selected a payment method and entered my credit card details, the very final step, the next screen told the bad news (as posted above).

I found this very annoying. If this had been presented before I had made my final descision to proceed, I would have been happy that I knew all the information pertenant to my transaction. I felt that the way that this had been done was underhand. No-where had I seen mention of this in the information provided. I stepped through the process a couple of times previously just so that I was comfortable with the deal.

Do you understand why I felt this way??

In which case,t hat begs the question. What is wrong with it?

As far as this service goes, it is up on par with most high grade offering I have used in the hosting world.

Has the CGI provision changed unrecognisably in the last six months thenHuh I waited two years facing a barage of empty promises from +net regarding the very very poor performance of the antiquated CGI server systems. We were finally told at the time that we (+net users) should be grateful that CGI was included for such a cheap service and shouldn't expect a competently running CGI system. Those were +net's words.

So you're saying it's different now! - I'd be very surprised - tell me it's true please and i'll let my friends that deserted +net at the time know to try again.
N/A

The whole CGI platform was replaced 3 months backm, and the MySQL platform shortly after.

I can only sugest trying them out yourself.
Community Veteran

Also the storage sub-system for mail was replaced at the end of last month (i think) meaning email access is no longer delayed on Monday mornings and access to mailboxes is much faster now.

Also the homepages servers were also revamped and new OSs installed makingthem much quicker in responding to requests.

The usenet servers were also completely replaced earlier this month and that is running very much faster with >90% completion.

It all adds up to a much faster environment all round. It's still not perfect but it is getting closer.

Maybe read Announcement: The Focus on Service Continues
N/A

Also the homepages servers were also revamped and new OSs installed makingthem much quicker in responding to requests.

I could take you to task on this one! My homepage stopped working for a couple of months whilst the old system creaked under the pressure of being over subscribed. +net have only put things right in regards to this matter I feel.
N/A

The forth word in the very first post needs editing.
glyndev
Grafter

Re: I lose my .co.uk domain name ... Whaaat!!!

And Wannado is cheaper - comparing like for like deals:: £17.99 per month for a 2Gb limit @ 512k with no setup fee + free modem compared to +net's £16.49 per month + £58.54 activation. I worked it out that over 3 years +net is still dearer by £12 - after that the ballpark would undoubtedly have changed and it'd be time to move on.

Its actually £4.54p more expensive over 3 years. That equates to just over £0.12p a month, Less than half a cigarette if you are a smoker or a third of one issue of a daily newspaper.

But what does that get you at plusnet compared to wanadoo