cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have to 'dial' to establish my 'always-on' connection

Bascule
Grafter

I've had a look through the forums for an answer to this but couldn't find anything. I'd like my connection to be established at logon (but not for all users) without having to click the network connection and then confirm it with the "Dial" button. Is that possible with a USB modem?

Any advice gratefully received.
19 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

In Control Panel, go to Internet Options,then Connections and tick the box marked "Never Dial a Connection"
Bascule
Grafter

Doesn't that mean that IE will just assume that the connection is there and fail to load the page if it hasn't already been established?
Alecto
Grafter

Sorry, I assumed from the question that you'd just changed to ADSL and it kept wanting to dial when you brought up IE.

If you go to Connections and tick the boxes marked "Make this my default" and "Always dial a connection when one is not present", then it will dial when you bring up IE.
Bascule
Grafter

Sorry, I may not be explaining my problem very well. Shockedops:

What I'd like is for the connection to be there already, as soon as (or very soon afer) I logon. I would have thought that there would be some way for the modem to automatically connect at logon so that any apps can use the connection without me having to start IE first (e.g. anti-virus s/w can get it's updates, etc). That would seem to me to be the behaviour of an "always-on" connection. A bit like logging onto a LAN.
Community Veteran

Many USB based ADSL modems act just like an old 56K dialup modem where you have to initiate the connection by running an application that requests internet access. Some USB modems have drivers that act like a network card so establish a connection when your system starts up.

You could create a batch file that pings an ip address and add the batch file to your startup folder. When the dialup window shows, make sure you tick 'always connect'' or something like that so it does not wait to ask for permission to connect.
Bascule
Grafter

Ah. Well, so much for always on. Still, not a major problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Also, I have just dug this up from google which I may try:

I have fully automated my usb adsl connection (I have a speedtouch stingray) and windows xp pro.

I set up the connection properties manually and unchecked all the boxes under dialling options. I do not use the alcatel dialer or have the little green thing in my system tray, it is just like any other windows dial up connection. The connection is set to redial 10 times at one second intervals. The connection is called ADSL Broadband Connection.

Now if you were to connect to this connection from the network connections under "settings" on the start menu it will connect without any further input required from the user.

Now create a text file called "ADSL.txt" containing the following text:

rasphone -d "ADSL Broadband Connection"

Rename the textfile from "ADSL.txt" to "ADSL.bat"

Disconnect from ADSL and double check that executing this .bat file connects you silently to the internet. Move the .bat file somewhere out of the way (Such as the windows directory)

Now open Scheduled Tasks under Administrative tools and add adsl.bat as a scheduled task to run at system start-up.

If all goes well it should now connect as soon as the computer boots and before logon. (if you log on too quick it may not be connected but will continue to do so in the background and the connected icon will appear in the system tray when finished)

The only other thing to note is that windows disconects it on log off. The following text between the lines saved as a .reg file will fix this when executed, or manually edit the registry if you are comfortable doing so.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"KeepRasConnections"="1"
Bascule
Grafter

Bascule
Grafter

Or maybe even better ....

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_p.htm#xp_pppoe

Smiley ....I'll shut up now!
hitachi
Grafter

Or easier still, buy a router and your connection will be always on.
Bascule
Grafter

Point taken. Though not a really easier and a lot more expensive.
N/A

Depends how "always on" you would like.. ie, "Always On" even when your computer is off
N/A

Under £30
Bascule
Grafter

OK, point really taken now. I can see that I will probably end up with a router eventually. For the time being I've found a useful free utility called AutoRasDial. You tell it which network connection you use and it runs as a service and dials the connection when you boot.
N/A

Really simple solution is copy your shortcut to "dial-up" into the Startup folder of windows and once log on to windows it will start, hence always on!!

Hope this helps