cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have the same problem

N/A

I have the same problem

I have a USR 9000 USB modem, and I get a reasonably good connection, and the line only drops every now and again.
When my ADSL was first connected my router (Creative ADSL Blaster) synced up fine and was rocket powered. 2 days later and it lost sync.
I complained to both plus and to BT, BT logged a fault and increased the gain, but this did not work. Plus said it must be a falt with the router, I have replaced the router twice now and PC world have been good to swap it over.

Has anyone any ide why this happens or any tips. I am told probably this is a BT fault on their side and they may need to swap the Port I am plugged in to ?

Cheers.
13 REPLIES
N/A

Split from Sync light on router flashing

Turning the gain up will do nothing to help your ADSL connection. By doing this, they increase the line noise just as much as the signal. It only gives better voice reception.

Ask PlusNet to perform a Whoosh test via link:contact us and to pass the results to you.

Post the results here, and we will be able to advise further.

You should make all reasonable efforts to make sure you have setup your own connection and equipment correctly.

This includes adiquate quality phone extentions, filters and splitters in the correct places and where possible, testing if you get any better quality connection if using the inner socket of the master faceplate.
N/A

have requested wosh test and willpost shortly !

OK I have 2 usr filters, which came with the usr USB modem and they both work fine. As the USB modem works fine.

My router used to sync, but now does not, even being left on for a few days.

I have 1 master socket in the hall and an extension cable into the front room.
With the above config the splitter is plugged into the socket end of the extension cable.

I have tried plugging the router via the filter on the main socket and no sync

I have tried changing the cable on the router to a modem (with bt plug) and this does not sync either.

I will get a wosh test done and get the results, I will also get on to BT and gett he gain returned to normal.

Cheers

James.
N/A

sorry brother you have me confused.

Sorry Bruv, You have me confused with the guy who origanily posted.
My router was brough from good old PC world, all the setting are (UK) and are correct as you stated above.

I just responded to his post to agree it happened to me too.

Cheers

James.
N/A

Xyleneuk

USR stuff isn't what it used to be for quality, especially the power supplies.
Check what voltage the output is on the label of the power supply (or somewhere else on the unit) and then with a multimeter check the actual output. If the voltage is low, then there will be insufficient line power to reach the exchange. My 018000 router power supply gave 2.6 volts instead of the normal 5 volts.

I know PC World have changed it twice, but most probably from the same batch.
N/A

the USR is not the problem, that USR is a 9000 its justa USB modem, no psu or anything like that and it works 98% fine.

The router however:- Creative ADSL Blaster, used to sync up but now does not.
I ahve replaced it twice now, so I don't think its a router issue, I guess its a line issue.

I have reqiested that BT turn the gain back to normal, but this will take 24 hours.

Well keep me in the loop !

Always on the level

James.
Community Veteran

Sorry xyleneuk, my post was meant for mjmpm who's problem started this thread and seems to have been forgotten since your problem was raised. It may have been better to have started your own thread rather than take over this one which appears to have happened.
N/A

BT have dropped the line gain back to normal.

Request posted to the www.bt.com site at 2PM just had a call at 16:30 to say the request has been compleated.
Will have to wait until 18:00 and test it at home.
As its not plugged in at the moment.
Will request the whoosh test if no improvement.
Thanks for the advice so far. wish me luck !
Community Veteran

Sorry xyleneuk, my post was meant for mjmpm who's problem started this thread and seems to have been forgotten since your problem was raised. It may have been better to have started your own thread rather than take over this one which appears to have happened.

Yes I have now split this into two threads so as to get over the confusion.
N/A

Only trying to help.

sorry I thought forums were to share your problems and exchange information.
As I was having very simular problems I thought i would share the steps I have been through. Shockedops:
I'll update tonight and if its not resolved I'll start a new topic !
Sorry if I upset anyone that was not my intention at all.
Community Veteran

Don't worry about it its not really a problem, Its just that althought you were both seeing the same effect but the solutions seem to be totally diferent in each case.

There is no need to start another thread now I have split them and this one should now just contain replys to your first posting.
Any further input from you can now be enetered in this thread. Wink
N/A

Your a gent.

Thanks John your a Gentleman.
Much apprecaited.
N/A

modem still works why doesn't the router?

I'm getting fustrated now. thought the above would fix the problem but it has not. what's the next step's any one any idea ?
Cheers

James
N/A

paid an extra £30 for a netgear

and yes its all working...
moral... dont be a cheap scate !!!!