I do not understand

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

I do not understand

BT speed tester says 5113 kbps
Plusnet speed tester says 1.84 Mbps.

Which is true?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
32 REPLIES
N/A

I do not understand

The BT one most probably! The PN one is a load of rubbish quite frankly!

Its something they are aware of, and the new one is on its way. Not sure if its in Beta testing yet, but I've had a look at it, and it seems better already!

Its based on the same technology as the speedtests at www.speedtest.net and www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk

Try both of those ones, and post up your results. (Use the London server on the speedtest.net one, since its the closest to the peering links on the PN network, regardless of what it suggests based on your physical location)
Luzern
Pro

I do not understand

With www.speedtest.net speeds were 2474/378
and with www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk 2610/380.

BTW I have only been effectivley maxd from about 2 p.m and the speeds do seem to be increasing gradually Smiley Any further advice will be graciously accepted.

Another not understood follows.

Against my latency shown in the stats for my Binatone 500DSLModem is "Interleaved". What is significance and are some modems better performers than others?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
N/A

I do not understand

Modems are generally worse performers than Routers.

The simple reason for this is, a router contains its own processor, and maintains its own connection without any aid from your computer. All your computer has to cope with is standard networking protocols.

By contrast, a USB modem passes all processing to your computer, which has to maintain the connection, and present it to itself as a network connection, at which point it then uses standard networking protocols.

Clearly less demand is placed on your machine when using a router.

Typically, routers tend to use higher grades of components than modems, and you're not limited by USB throughput either.

If you are thinking of replacing your modem, the Netgear DG834 (all variants) come highly recommended.

The choice of variants revolves around wireless/no wireless. A few have complained that the rangemax range are not quite as reliable on wireless.
Luzern
Pro

I do not understand

I am too much of a rickety rocking-horse, so would be woriied lest there compications in setting up and using a router. Is it asplug amd play as was my modem? if I do go over is there anything to watch out for? I have no need of wireless.

Thanks.

NOw interleaving? Smiley
N/A

I do not understand

Ah, sorry, interleaving!

In simplistic terms, its a double check that all the data you were supposed to receive, actually arrived.

There is an overhead in terms of performance, however its pretty minute, and only really noticeable if you are into gaming, which performs much better at very low latency.

Its applied automatically to all new orders, as it makes lines more stable, but it can be turned off if you require.

Personally, I have it turned on at over half the customers I look after, and I can't really tell any difference either way.....

Routers again Wink Some are easier than others! The Netgear ones are very straight-forward.

There's nothing to install, just a web based form to fill in some basic details on.

The none wireless ones are perhaps easier and more logical in operation/setup than modems are.
N/A

I do not understand

Oh, if you do decide you want it off - you just need to raise a ticket asking for it to be turned off - I think it takes a few days but I'm not entirely sure on timing.
Luzern
Pro

I do not understand

Cry I suppose it;'s the amount of traffic, but d'load speed is now in the 600s. Is there another explanation?
Luzern
Pro

I do not understand

What is happening? Within 5 mins this morning I hot
BT tester 4700 and the two mentioned above by sallyandjames gave 2700. At 7 in the morning is such a variation expected?
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

I do not understand

This is probably due to the 10 day training period on MAX, the speeds will vary while the BT Wholesale equipment tries to find the best speed on your line.
After the first 10 days the speed shouldn't change as often.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/dslmax_guide.shtml
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Luzern
Pro

I do not understand

Thanks, but it was the short time lapse between the changes that surprised me. Also interesting that a test done just now but using the BT tester last showed the same variation others 2700kbps, BT 4700.

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Removed full quote of previous post as per the link:rules
N/A

I do not understand

Which BT speedtester are you comparing against?

The one where you enter different login credentials into your router, or the one where you enter your phone number into the web page?
Luzern
Pro

I do not understand

Which BT speedtester are you comparing against?

The one where you enter different login credentials into your router, or the one where you enter your phone number into the web page?

It is http://speedtester.bt.com where you enter tel no and then username@plusdsl.net. Is there another BT one and am I using the right one :?: Smiley
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

I do not understand

There's this one as well, the old one:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwspeedtest.htm

it's been withdrawn for most people now so may not work.
N/A

I do not understand

Hmm, given the BT tester that you used, I would expect results to be all in a similar region for speedtests (the old one Dave linked to above used to bypass the PN network, and thus rule out any issue with their network management)

Given that all the tester you have run thus far all work in a similar way, one would expect the results to be correlated somehow - it looks to me as if something is amiss somewhere.