cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't connect!

N/A

I can't connect!

Arghrgr, I'm really getting frustrated now, nothing I try works!!

I have one of the new intel macs and a Netgear ADSL Modem Router (DG632)

It was working fine til friday when first I couldn't get any pages to load and then everything internet related stopped working. Then the flashing orange light started (the one which shows your connection to the internet) both the other lights are green (power/connection to computer) and my computer insists that the Built In Ethernet is giving me an internet connection but that it can't get http://www.apple.com to load so I "May have typed the address incorrectly". No, I have not. NOTHING will load.

I've tried everything (unplugging, swtiching off, restarting, setting up the internet connection all over again, connecting directly to the main phoneline...) So I decided to try and connect my old laptop with the voyager modem plusnet sent me (which they didn't bother telling me wouldn't work with my mac, but that's another story). This works!! This is not a soultion though, the laptop is old and crashes all the time.

If anyone can offer me any kind of help I would be most grateful, I have contacted plusnet about the problem but they do take a long time to reply and I'm not even sure if the problem is them or with the mac?!
13 REPLIES
MysteryFCM
Grafter

I can't connect!

Connect the router and look at the back of it, then hold the RESET button (you may need a ballpoint pen to do this) for approx 20 seconds.

Once reset, load up the routers config and re-enter your connection settings.

Once connected, go to the Netgear website and download the latest firmware for it.
N/A

I can't connect!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have just tried what you suggested and it still doesn't work...It definitely reset, but the orange light is still flashing and the internet still wont work Sad
N/A

I can't connect!

i have same prob - see this thread http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44548

are u connecting everytime with modem ?? i was getting error 691 now and again with modem
N/A

I can't connect!

I had a similar problem. Phone netgear and they get you to upload to latest firmware (which you need for maxadsl anyway) and put your MTU to 1400 (Wrong!)

I have found that your MTU needs to be 1500 to allow you to connect to all sites, if it is less then you can't connect to a number of sites including MSN and microsoft

So in your wan setting try MTU=1500, it worked for me
N/A

I can't connect!

I've tried both of these things and it still won't work Sad

It doesnt seem like it's EVER going to, agrhgrhgrr.
N/A

I can't connect!

what happens when u try the voyager 105 modem ?? are u connecting every time ? are u getting any error msgs ? are web pages loading ?
N/A

I can't connect!

Everything is fine when I use the voyager but I'm using it on a different computer and the voyager is not compatible with my mac (i have one of the new intel ones and that modem doesnt work with those).

I'm really getting frustrated with this now!
N/A

I can't connect!

I'm using an older mac G4 and could never get usb modems to work at all.
Bought a zoom ethernet modem and subsequently a zoom gateway router and they both worked like a dream.
N/A

I can't connect!

I have exactly the same problem.... I think it's because for some reason the static IP address is being changed at Plusnet's end and not being transmitted to the router. Hence it looks as though it is connected successfully, which it is (to the exchange) but it can't talk to the plusnet server.
N/A

I can't connect!

Have you tried plugging it into the test socket behing the BT master faceplate? Details here and here. Cured my connection problems. Have now fitted an ADSL faceplate, others have just removed the ring wire.
N/A

I can't connect!

I have exactly the same problem.... I think it's because for some reason the static IP address is being changed at Plusnet's end and not being transmitted to the router. Hence it looks as though it is connected successfully, which it is (to the exchange) but it can't talk to the plusnet server.

Can that problem be solved by talking to plusnet? I have already asked them for help online but they're not replying...I could ring them though if they might be able to solve it (been avoiding this due to spending 2 hours on hold last time I tried ringing them and never actually getting through)

I will try the faceplate thing if all else fails, I'm a bit wary of doing that tho cos I wouldn't really know what I was doing and I don't want to make things even worse!!
N/A

I can't connect!

Have you tried entering different DNS server addresses in the network preferences - seem to remember having problems when I first connected.

N/A

I can't connect!

I've tried entering different DNS server addresses, still no joy.

I've made one last attempt to get help from plusnet. If they don't say anything useful (likely) then I'll exchnage the modem. If I still have a problem I am going to be very angry with plusnt, I've only been a customer for 3 weeks or so and it's been never-ending problems Sad