cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can hear my modem on my phone

N/A

Hello,

When my modem is connected I can hear it when I am on the phone. I have tried using multiple micro-filters and I am always testing it directly on the master socket with one phone and one modem connected. Does anyone know why this might happen?

Thanks,

Matthew
5 REPLIES
N/A

You say you've tried "multiple micro-filters" - have you tried a different make/brand of micro-filter?

Simplistically it sounds like you micro-filters aren't doing their job - what type/brand are you using?
N/A

Hi,

Yes I've tried different makes. Specifically I've tried two different speedtouch ones and a fun-jin one. I know what you mean, it does sound like a microfilter issue but I didn't have this problem before joining plus.net. Is it possible to have a line fault that would cause this?

Thanks
N/A

It's quite difficult to see how it could be a line fault, although dodgy extensions' wiring might be a possiblity.

Do you have other phone extensions wired in your house? If so, have you tried removing the lower half of the main BT socket - this would temporarily disconnect the extensions, and allow you to test directly, via the socket behind without the possible influence of extension wiring.

If your filters are O.K. and it's not extensions' wiring either - then perhaps your analogue/voice signal is very low (low gain) relative to a high ADSL signal? Please note: I'm not any sort of telecoms expert.

Last thought - try a different make/model of telephone just in case there is something peculiarly sensitive about the phone itself (ADSL frequencies are effectively radio frequency and can interfere/be interfered with).
oliverb
Grafter

A bad junction on the BT side CAN do this, particularly if it's been exposed to rain and corroded.
sam
Grafter

HI mammoo1,

I have replied to your ticket, please follow the advice on the ticket and if none of the suggestions resolve the problem, please raise this as a fault, detailing all that you have tried. I would advise raising this as an intermittent connection fault.