cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am a confused 512k EasyStart Customer!

N/A

Hello.

I signed up to PlusNet's Easystart package in october 2003 (*I think! . . . I have a poor old memory!). What is going to happen next with the introduction of the Fair Usage Policy this april?

I am paying £25.99 per month for my 512 ADSL line (this is the price I have always paid) and currently I have no limits on the amout I can download each month. This payment includes my web site, which I believe is £1 per month added to the total cost,. and I am still using my Binatone ADSL 500 modem.

Will I now have a cap on my bandwidth? With all the recent changes, talk of peak and off-peak times, free speed increases from BT, etc., I must admit to being slightly confused as to what I can expect to happen next. Do I need a new modem if the speed is increased, or will my current modem handle higher connection speeds? Do I have to pay more money to carry on with my unlimited monthly bandwidth? Should I switch to a different package?

I apologize for all these questions, because I guess a read through the forums would probably bring me the answers I need. I simply don't have time to do so right now and I would be grateful if someone could shed some light on this.

I do feel slightly cheated because of the price I am paying for my 512 line, which is slow in comparison to the speeds available now, which also appear to cost less. Of course, we all want fast connections, cheap prices and unlimited downloads!

Thanks for any info in advance, I will check this thread later today. Peace and blessings. Smiley
28 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It was actually the 27 Oct 2003 that you joined. I joint at the same time on the same package.

What you do now depends on your monthly download.

If you are under 30Gb per month, for a one admin fee of £15. You can move to the equivalent current package (Broadband Premier) and reduce your monthly fee to £21 plus the £1 for your domain name. You will then receive your speed upgrade once BT gets their finger out.

If you can not wait for the free speed upgrade then you can rush this by paying an additional £15 upgrade fee.

I am not sure what happen if you are over 30Gb, my understanding (based on the confusing and often misleading communications from Plus.Net.) Is that you can ask to move to the correct FUP level, and if this is an increase in your monthly fee, there is no admin charge to pay. The speed will be increased as above.

A third option is to look at Broadband Plus, to see if this meets your needs.

Chilly

PS; Your modem is fine for upto 6M maybe 8M.

Plus.Nets Report Card.
Technical Ability; 10/10
Communication skills; Could do better
N/A

Hey chilly, thanks for the info. So, if I understand right, my PlusNet contract runs from the 27th of October, just as it states under my username on this very forum? I didn't think of that. It's a good reminder anyway!

OK, one thing I definately do not want to do is pay any more money each month than I am doing currently. I will have a good think about what to do next, and whichever package to go with. I still find all of this quite confusing though, so hopefully someone can advise me what they would do in this situation. I can wait for a free speed upgrade, no problem there. I always look back to the dialup days and I am thankful for the 512 ADSL I have now. Sure, we would all love a faster connection, but 512 isn't bad at all for regular 'net surfing and downloading, etc.

Thanks again for your help.
N/A

I also had an easy start account regraded to after a year. Though i forgott to do it strait away.
N/A

OK...

As well as your Fair Usage amount, you can also use up to 200 GB* extra every month by scheduling downloads between off-peak hours of 1-8AM.

This is only for the 2 MB connections?

I'm starting to dislike the sound of this "Fair Usage Policy". Fair on who? I am paying £26 per month for a 512k line with a max of 30 GB per month only? I would like to know if uploading is included in this 30 GB, btw. I signed up to PlusNet for unlimited downloading, but now I'm to be capped?

PlusNet don't make this very clear at all.
Community Veteran

I understand that only downloads are covered by the FUP.

If you give us an indication of your useage i.e. P2P and average monthly useage, we will be able to understand you position better.

Chilly
N/A

The usage amount probably varies depending on who's using the computer at home. Sometimes I don't download anything at all, but that's not really the point here. I don't want to have to think about bandwidth limits because I signed up for an uncapped connection, not a restricted one. PlusNet offered a good deal at the time. Now that's changing, I don't know where I really stand. I think I can deal with 30 GB per month, it's probably adequate for what I need, but as I said, my point is I signed up for an unrestricted connection.
N/A

If you are paying £26 a month, are you still within your first 12 months of service?

Do you know if your line is capable of faster speeds?

If you are not in your first 12 months, then you may be better off requesting a change to Broadband Premier 30G now. This will cost you £15 admin fee.

This will however save you £3 a month and allow you to recover this fee in a few months time.

Secondly, for if you think your line can support faster speeds. PlusNet and will soon be upgrading Broadband HomeSurt, Home, EasyStart and Premier customers to the fastest speed there lines can handle for free.

This will occur between now and June (provisional dates are apparently due within the next 2 weeks).
N/A

Hello acarr.

No, I am outside of my 12 month period by about 6 months, I believe. That's if my contract ran from 27th October, 2003. I know I should be paying less, I just haven't gotten around to arranging that yet. I will do so, eventually... just so busy!

According to BT's line checker, my line is currently capable of anything up to 2 MB.

Thanks for the reply. Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from thread
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26835&start=15

The Fair Usage Levels are very flexible and are not "caps". As we have said several times, the level can be exceeded without any penalty. It is only if someone exceeds their level consistently when the speed is reduced, and then as explained previously this speed is still higher than the advertised speed of the connection, and is only until the next billing date.

Also, the upstream traffic and traffic between 1am and 8am is not monitored under fair usage, so based on a 2MB connection on Premier 30, it is possible to download 230GB without even exceeding the usage level on the account. This would simply not be possible with a cap.

So unless you are exceeding 30G regularly, Premier 30G should be idea.

Chilly
N/A

OK, this clarifies the situation. I guess I should change my package to Premier 30 ASAP, and wait for the free speed increase, is this right?

chilly, you are very helpful. Thanks to both you and acarr.
N/A

Yes.

It's a simple process which can be done from the UPGRADE link above.

After clicking proceed, I believe you should pick the "Boradband Premier 30GB £21.99" from the Monthly list.

Although there is a 12 month minimum period for the account, it is classed as a monthly contract.

It should quote the change as costing £14.99. If it does not, you should raise a ticket which will be actioned instead.

You will need a valid Credit Card on file to do this.
N/A

No probs. this is what I'll do.

Cheers.
N/A

Hang on a minute!

I'm also still on the on "Easystart". I submitted a ticket asking if "Easystart" was included in the regrading exercise and was told that it was.

This obviously needs to be clarified.

I think you should hang on to your £15 for the moment.

I've sent in another query and I'll keep you posted.
N/A

Indeed, Easystart is included in the free regrades.

This thread is refering to changing the account type, and not the account speed.

This means moving from the £26/month package to the £22/month package.

Regardless of the free speed regrade you will receive, you will still be paying £26 unless you change packages.