cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How will regrade work?

N/A

How will regrade work?

Hello,

Does anyone know how this regrade will be carried out?

My line stats (Attn 44/25 dB, noise 20/30 dB) would seem to suggest 1M OK, 2M marginal. If that's the case, I'd prefer to have a reliable 1M line than a dodgy 2M.

So - who makes the decision? do I get a choice? could I try out 2M and fall back to 1M or 512K if problems? Could I "appeal" if I don't agree with what I'm given? Will line tests cost me?

If I've missed a document explaining all this, I apologise.

Also - it seems a bit unfair for person A to be upgraded to (say) 1M and person B stuck on (say) 512K when both are paying the same.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

How will regrade work?

The following info has been asked and answered several times but it is understandable why you did not find it due to the volume of threads.

The upgrade to MaxDSL will happen automatically sometime in April.

The next bit has not been clarified yet: When you are moved to MaxDSL, either you will remain on your current speed or automatically be changed to the fastest your line will support.

Whichever one happens, you will have the means to change the speed you connect at either via a contact us ticket or via a portal webpage. You can then select from the available speeds your line allows and can choose a slower speed than the maxumum if you find the maximum causes problems.

Regarding the unfair comment, well life is also unfair. Unfortunatly there is little that can be done with this. In time faster speeds will be available to everyone but the current ADSL technology is limited by line conditions and those further from the exchange will always have less options than those close to it.
N/A

Re: How will regrade work?

Also - it seems a bit unfair for person A to be upgraded to (say) 1M and person B stuck on (say) 512K when both are paying the same.

I take your point, to a certain extent.

But it seems to me all this change does (in that regard) is to return to the situation in the dial up days.

The limiting factor being the quality of the line and modem at the end of the line.

If you have a 56K modem and poor line you're only going to connect at say 14K4 (for example) - yet you're still paying the same as someone getting 48K ...
Alecto
Grafter

How will regrade work?

Since the costs to Pn of supplying both your examples is exactly the same , it makes sense for them to charge customers the same. The higher speed is available to you, it's just that you can't take advantage of it.
It's not Pn's fault and I don't know whether pressure from the customer on BT would achieve anything (but suspect not).
Otherwise it's just one of those unfair things we have to put up with - Like why we in the UK pay more for nearly everything than they do in the rest of Europe or the US.
N/A

How will regrade work?

Thanks for the information.
N/A

Unfair

It may also be that "House B" in the countryside cost double the price of "House A" in town next door to the loud public house.

I think you could be staring into a blackhole. As previously quoted life is unfair.

On a happier note ADSL2, ADSL2+ and VDSL aren't far down the road.

UnholyChilli
Community Veteran

Re: Unfair

On a happier note ADSL2, ADSL2+ and VDSL aren't far down the road.

ADSL2/2+ are still subject to similar line conditions for the speed you can get so aren't the real solution. ADSL2 for instance just gives an approx 500m improvement - i.e. the same speeds can be achieved 500m further away than ADSL so may give a 1 step improvement at most.

VDSL I have no knowledge of so don't know what improvements it can give.
N/A

How will regrade work?

I have read that ADSL2 would only increase reach by 600 ft (US site) even worse than 500m! shame

VDSL includes FTTN (fibre to the neighourhood) only the last hundreds of metres are intended to be copper, speeds of over 50Mb/s are expected. There is speculation that BT will announce a commercial launch in 2006.
However this also degrades as the distance from the fibre node increases.

UnholyChilli
N/A

How will regrade work?

The next bit has not been clarified yet: When you are moved to MaxDSL, either you will remain on your current speed or automatically be changed to the fastest your line will support.

Peter,
And how will we know when we are "moved to MaxDSL" ?

Egremont
Community Veteran

How will regrade work?

No Idea. These questions should be answered nearer the time when PlusNet have finalised how thing will be done.
N/A

How will regrade work?

Personally can't wait and think this is excellent news for the vast majority of us. I do think however, that PlusNet will do themselves no harm by communicating dates of changes and more details sooner rather than later.

I would have preferred to have the good news and the detail together, at a later date, instead of being left hanging for a few weeks inbetween.

Anyway, moan over, roll on April .... Tongue
N/A

How will regrade work?

Do plus net offer a service when you can pay to get the upgrade done sooner, like nildram. Pay £12 and get the upgrade straight away if you are with them

Or migrate for free and pay 25.99 a month for 2mb and a 50gb peak limit and unlimited off peak

Sounds tempting, just the lack of static ip thats an issue for me

Just a thought

Aaron
N/A

How will regrade work?

Seen on the web this morning:

"The faster than 2Mbps trials are actually what MAX DSL is really all about. NOT the current free regrades that many providers are talking about. Also the initial trial phase will only be 2000 lines on 21 exchanges, NOT the 561 or so exchanges that some people have previously suggested.

There has been much talk of this trial which will start in April 2005 by the service providers, mainly as the result of a briefing held by BT Wholesale and attended by providers. Very little concrete information is available as yet, BT generally issue a STIN (suppliers trial information notes) document just before a trial starts and this has not appeared yet."

I'm sure that PlusNet will be quick off the mark to get the regrading going, but the BT trial seems to be the main factor in dictating the pace of change.
N/A

How will regrade work?

Correct me if im wrong? if the upgrade will put us on the fastest available speed our line will support and control will be given to reduce this i assume the lines will be provisioned on the maximum they can support and you will have some controll at what speed we recieve?

If that is the case and my line is provisioned at 2meg but due to line length is unstable then controlling the speed to 1meg will make little difference? as my line would still be provisioned at 2meg? i may be wrong but i dobt you will be regrading the line each time a customers requests due to the costs involved?
Community Veteran

How will regrade work?

The key point is 'the fastest you line will support'. If you line cannot sync an 2Mbs speeds it will sync at the highest possible it can support. i.e. 1Mbs or 512Kbs.

There are also 2 distictly separate upgrades occuring. The first is to get everyones line upgraded to the fastest it supports upto a max of 2Mbs. Then later, when the faster speeds (upto 8Mbs) are available at your exchange (during or after the high speed trials), they will be made available on your line.

But if you line can only ever support 1Mbs, that's as fast as you will go.