cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stay off the Tiscali LLU platform!

N/A

Hi,

Since I started reading about Plusnet getting involved with Tiscali my heart sank. Last year we moved from Tiscali to Plusnet because they were usless to say the least. My dad was with Plusnet and had no problems what so ever, so we migrated and everything was fine.

Until the dreded word Tiscali pop-up and since then we have had no end of problem with slow speeds and I have lost count of the number time we have had no e-mail or delayed e-mails.

So my question is this, if there any way to chack to see if we are on the Tiscali LLU platform and if we are is there any way of coming off A.S.A.P.?

Regards,

P.S I signed up my sister-in-law and last Tuesday she went active, BUT she has had nothing but problems all week and weekend. I do feel the quality of service has fallen alot in the last few months Sad
23 REPLIES
N/A

You will know when you have been Tiscali’d, because you will lose the connection for several days. After much frustration with Broadband checkers and PN customer service (I had to use the local library internet service to raise the problem, because you cannot get through on the phone), hopefully, you may finally get reconnected. But, and it is a big but, the connection will fail at random intervals, for minutes or hours. It is a real problem if you are using an Internet bank or placing an order.

The PN Newsletter Issue 5 Sept 2006/Oct 2006 apparently offers an opt out - see the section "Up to 8Mb Broadband Upgrades - An Update". If I were you, I would opt out ASAP.

If I had know I was going to be Tiscali’d, and knew about the opt out, I would have opted out - Tiscali do have an awful reputation, which is now spreading to PN.

PN customer service have basically messed my connection around since the end of July (that is when I was Tiscali’d). They have reduced my data rate, now at 1 Mbps, half what it was before the transfer to 8 Mbps, and they now want to reduce the data rate further. Oh, and it takes over a week for a customer services person to answer any questions: and they do not read the message thread.

My solution is give PN a little more time to transfer my connection back to BT, otherwise I will leave PN - I joined in April 2002.

Loyal customers count for nothing at PN.

Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.net.uk/) have been recommended by a friend.
N/A

I'm not LLU and I am having terrible problems since signing up in July. It is perhaps convenient and suits PN to let Tiscali take the blame, but I don't thinks it's that simple.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

You will know when you have been Tiscali’d, because you will lose the connection for several days

A pretty blunt, but from what I've read a quite accurate assumption. So much so the transfers have been suspended for weeks because of the unreliability of Tiscali.

But a bit more seriously, you can tell if your modem/router is syncing upstream at more than 448kbs. So check your stats.

If you don't fancy risking your connection for PlusNet's benefit (not that I can blame you), then I'd advise visiting http://trials.plus.net, logging in if necessary and then selecting "I would like to opt out of the LLU upgrade programme" and raising a ticket which should ensure you're not 'upgraded' (very inverted commas there) to Tiscali.

If you have been transferred, then it is possible for PlusNet to revert you back to IPStream at a cost of around 48 quid to themselves. For the courtesy of their cost-cutting they may cover the cost they incurred in the first place should they have been negligent (i.e. moved you after opting out, moved before the opt-out was in place or you've had serious connection problems), otherwise you'll need to meet the cost yourself should you wish to migrate using a MAC system which doesn't take weeks to generate a code (should it be working now of course) which more than a couple of ISP's accept.
shellsong
Grafter

Merlin
Grafter

I'm no friend of Tiscali but I am also not sure that the disconnection problem lies with them (yes I am getting them too).

Plus probably won't admit it but their Juniper routers may be the problem
N/A

I agree with you and I have posted the same. I think you may have the problem pinpointed and it sounds logical that it is the juniper routers to blame. Wouldn't it be lovely if it was and they replaced them? Should I pinch myself?
N/A

Hi there,

I'd be interested in the reasoning behind this theory.

IIRC the problems had been acknowledged as belonging to Tiscali and NTL, I am totally unsure as to how or why the Junipers could be the cause, but I am all ears Smiley
N/A

We're are interested in any theory that might reveal some light at the end of this tunnel of despair we're in.Please forgive us our naivety in thinking the blame lies within PN. It's obviously everyone elses fault. We don't really care who is to blame,we just hope it gets better than it is now.
Community Veteran

FWIW when I was migrated to LLU I was able to reconnect straight away once the router settings were sorted. I've also been pretty for me lucky with the dissconnects although I get them they aren't bad and i can normally get straight back in.

At one point if i were offered a free migration back to IPstream I would have jumped at the chance; however the speeds on LLU are pretty good for me (although I realise others have not been so lucky); and since the disconnections aren't particularly bad for me I'd be worried about contention if I went back to IPstream...
Merlin
Grafter

Regarding my assertion about the Juniper Routers I think that both Plus and Tiscali have more information than has been disclosed. Wouldn't it be a good idea if they both came into the open about the problems. I think they have made some progress in that they are at the stage where they know which haystack holds the needle but are still routing (no pun) around in the straw to locate it.
N/A

Tiscali LLU/ speed issues

My connection was transferred to Tiscali on 14th July, I lost connection for 24 hours and when it returned my speed had dropped from 3.5-4 meg to 40-160kb/s. I have had a fault ticket raised since 14th July, it took 2 weeks for LLU provisioning to go ahead and it's still 40-160kb/s over 2 months later......Plus net have just informed me they will transfer me back to BT for a fee of £52.88.......to sort their problem! i don't think so.
I would urge everybody to opt out of any change to Tiscali LLU network. Worse still I have had to keep raising more questions to Plus net to get any response as it sits there for over a week at a time with nothing happening and it's impossible to get thro' on the phone( acttually I did get thro' once after waiting on hold for 30 odd minutes only to ber told that all he could do was escalate the ticket.....it's been escalated so many times now it must be on the moon! Sad
N/A

I think that both Plus and Tiscali have more information than has been disclosed.

Hi there,

PN's Simon Day and others have been quite open regarding these issues over on the PUG forums. If you feel that they are holding somthing back then PUG and the entire customer base would love to hear about it.

If you arent comfortable posting it publically, feel free to PM me and I'll ensure the relevant questions are asked. Wink

As it stands at present I have no reason to doubt the information provided and have no reason to suspect that the issues facing LLU customers lies with the Juniper ERX 1440's.

However if there is evidence to the contrary it would be better outed and explained than speculated on.
N/A

In hindsight it seems reasonably obvious to me that there is little to no communication between the technical side of PN and the customer service base.

To think of it logically, the customer service teams are there to assist the customers in the most effecient means possible, and do everything in their power to attend to their needs.

There is no reason at all for PN to reveal to those teams the technical aspects as to why there are problems and what those problems are, all they get is 'disconnection issues' or something bland and obvious, lacking any technicality of what is the root causes of such.

This is of course the way with business, you don't want to tell the customers about any serious issues there may be with hardware and whatnot because naturally it can have a heavy impact on long term sales and profit which at the end of the day is all that matters. You just have to tell the customers something that briefly explains the situation and 'we are working to fix it' - job done; thats all they 'need to know'.

What my point was, is that to deny that PN are not withholding information is a clear fallacy because it is in their best interest as a business to do just that. PN don't want to be thought of as the isp that 'has huge customer service response times' or 'a near useless phoneline that has and endless string of "press # button for #" to the point of spending five minutes in phone menu's that contradict what the previous menu said"'.

For the record, i'm currently quite happy with my line, I made it clear to PN not to be moved to the LLU and i'm happily on 8mb maxdsl because I have exceptional line quality, but even I can see the severe problems customers have on the LLU; a friend of mine is often phoning me asking 'is your dsl working' cause his has gone down for whatever reason.
N/A

I don't care what Plusnet's problems are, I understand they are moving customer's to Tiscali LLU for financial gain as they are cheaper than BT, but as I am in the IT industry myself, I know that if I changed a customers system that seriously degraded their service as has happened to me and countless other's, I would have to put it back to resolve the problem at my own expense. I have been a Plusnet customer since july 2002 and have reffered quite a few other's as up until July 14th, my service was pretty much trouble free apart from the odd glitch which was quickly sorted out on line using the fault ticket system. This sadly is no longer the case and to drop to dial up speeds and not be able to get any support from Plusnet is totally unacceptable.......Is there no governing body to control ISP's or are they a law unto themselves? Cry