cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup the ADSL connection??

N/A

I have installed the ADSL USB modem and the modem works properly. Do I need to dial-up?? What would be the number?? Thank you!!!
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Nope, all you need is your username and password. Smiley

Thomas
N/A

In some instances, you need to set the number as 0,38, or 38,0 (can't remember whcih way).

You should consult the manual for the modem to find out what should be used.
N/A

but i dont know where to set the username and password!?Huh
N/A

There should be some kind of setup page for the modem. If you read the manual, this should tell you everything you need to know (except for plusnet server details, which can be found here).
N/A

The modem that i am using is LINKSYS USB ADSL MODEM. i could not find any places for setting the username and password!! i am just wondering now if the server type problem.
N/A

the server type is PPPoE?Huh
N/A

No, you should use PPPoA. All of these settings can be found on this page.

The manual should tell you where to go to setup the modem, and where to put the settings which you found on the above page. If not, tell us the model of your modem, and we may be able to assist you further.
N/A

THe modem i am using is LINKSYS USB ADSL MODEM USBDSL1. THis is its webpage: http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=162&scid=0
N/A

Ok first things first, have you plugged the modem in and follow the driver setup instructions (found on page 2-12 of the User Manual).

Once all of this is setup, a small icon should appear in the bottom right hand corner of your screen - looking something like this.

[list=1]
  • Right click this icon.
  • Choose "Properties" from the list
  • Press Alt + A on your keyboard
  • Click "Advanced Monitoring"
  • Press "Alt + A" on your keyboard, in the "Advanced Monitoring" window appears
  • Press "Alt + C" on your keyboard,once the Properties window has appeared.
  • Press "Alt + P" on your keyboard, when a windows appears.[/listShocked]

From this window you can change each setting. Only change the ones which are listed on PlusNet's page here.

I can now appreciate your difficulty with setting up this modem - that has to be the worse configuration menu I have ever seen! I'm still not completely sure I've got it right, I don't have the modem here to try it with so I'm just going by what the User Guide says.
  • N/A

but where to set up the username and password is the point. i think this is the main problem for me!
    painswck
    Grafter

Hi,

Have to agree with eurotrain here -worst interface and documentation I have seen.

If you look in the troubleshooting section at the end of the guide in the PPOA section it says;-
    ' The use of PPP makes the modem appear as a dial modem to the operating system. Dial up networking is used to establish a connection'

I guess therefore you need to use windows DUN to setup username and password.

I would have thought that this information would have been somewhere more obvious.

Hope this has helped.

Cheers

Roland
    N/A

Yeah, from what it says PPP is the part which includes authentication. So you somehow need to create a dialup connection..but..not dialling a number? Very very strange.
    Phantom_Flan_Fl
    Grafter

I had to set up a dial up when I installed my PCI modem.

Go to My Computer/Dial Up Networking.

Click on make new connection.

Put a name in, eg Plusnet ADSL. From the drop down menu in "Select a device," pick your modem.

Put any number in for the dial up number eg 0845 111111, and then click on finish.

You'll obviously have to make this new connection your default.

Hope this helps.