cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to retrieve other ISP mail?

N/A

Apologies if this is not the right forum, but I hope this is ok to ask here.

I have an "old" tiscali dial up - and a tiscali e-mail address which I would like if possible to collect from using Outlook Express with my PlusNet connection.. I realise webmail is easy but I need to log incoming e-mails within Outllook.

Is there a way I can set up my Outlook Express Account so I can retrieve Tiscali mail using my PlusNet broadband connection?

I notice that at the moment I can collect PlusNet mail through my Tiscali connection but not the other way round.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thank You

Rob
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It depends on whether tiscali allow connections to their pop3 mail server when you are not connected to Tiscali's network - i.e. you have not used tiscali dialup or ADSL

Normally you can retrieve email from another ISP's mail system without any problems but Tiscali may be different and only allow those users actualy logged onto theior network to access their servers. As I have never used them I don't know what restrictions they have.

Sending email with your tiscali email address is no problem, just set up or change the tiscali account your have in Outlook Express to use relay.plus.net as the outgoing SMTP server. Note: you can only use this if you are dialed up or ADSL connected to PlusNet's network.

What is the POP3 mail server do you use to collect mail from tiscali. I have tried mail.tiscali.net and pop.tiscali.co.uk (as shown on tiscalies website) and I can connect ok via my PlusNet connection.
N/A

HI Peter,

Thanks very much for the reply. In fact I've just tried it and can receive Tiscali mail fine using PlusNet's ADSL. But I can't send anything using Tiscali SMTP.

I wonder if it would work if I changed the "send" settings in Outlook to "relay.plus.net"? I'll try this.

Thanks Again,

Rob
N/A

I expect that Tiscali don't allow you to use their SMTP server unless you're connected through them (dialup or adsl) - most ISPs (including PlusNet) do this as a way of preventing abuse. If you change the outgoing server to relay.plus.net, provided that you're connecting through PlusNet's dialup or ADSL services, then you shouldn't have any problems.
N/A

HI Chris,

Your absolutely correct. Thank You. I set pop3 to Tiscali and Smtp to Plusnet and both ends are working fine now.

This might be a useful tip to others wanting to retrieve "old" e-mail without having to do so with Webmail, ie: direct from Outlook:-

Set your pop3 to whichever mail server you want to receive from, but set SMTP to relay.plus.net to send all mail whether it has a PlusNet address or any other address, if you are on a Plusnet initial connection.

Kind Regards,

Robl
N/A

I only got broadband yesterday - and am as green as grass... I have managed to set up the broadband but I don't know how to get my Freeserve mail - I plan to discontinue Freeserve and use my new Plusnet email but until I have let people know the change of email address I wanted to be able to access my email through my Freeserve account. Freeserve won't help me 'cos I use Outlook and not Outlook Express - neither with Plusnet...so I am totally stuck as to where to go to change my settings so that I still get Freeserve mail (in and out) and also Plusnet.

Help please would be most appreciated. Cheesy :?:
N/A

You can use webmail in the short term (top of the member centre on the left of this page).
Choose the options tab once within webmail and then follow the instructions.
N/A

Thank you (I also have a Honda Civic!)....but do you know about the long term please?
N/A

I don't use Outlook Express or Outlook anymore. It's been a long time, so I can't really comment.

However, I would have thought you could set up another account within Outlook to collect your mail from Freeserve. You will not be able to send mail through freeserve and it may error when you try to send, so when setting up the account, the outgoing server will have to be set to PlusNet.
N/A

Thank you.

I have managed to set it up to receive email (via Freeserve) but for some reason I cannot send any, even tho I have put relay.plus.net in the outgoing mail server box.

Very odd.
N/A

You will not be able to send via the Freeserve account. To send mail via Freeserve, you actually have to be logged on to them via there dial up.
The same applies to PlusNet. This is to stop unauthorised users sending mail on your account.

The relay.plus.net in the send option is just to stop the mail client creating an error. Most Mail clients require the SMTP details filled in.
Simon_M
Grafter

I have managed to set it up to receive email (via Freeserve) but for some reason I cannot send any, even tho I have put relay.plus.net in the outgoing mail server box.

Using Outlook Express, it is certainly possible to receive Freeserve mail while connected to Plusnet and to send mail using the Freeserve address so long as the SMTP server is set to relay.plus.net. I still have several old Freeserve email addresses working like this.

I can see no reason why this should not be possible with Outlook, so long as it is a fairly recent version, simply because early versions of Outlook only allowed a single Internet email account. I have a copy of Outlook 2002, so will test it out when I get a moment, if you are still having problems.

Remember that you will need to make a dial-up connection to the Freeserve phone number once every 3 months to keep your account with them alive. There is an account retrieval option if you forget. Must do mine - seems a long time since I did it last!
N/A

Thanks to everyone for their help. With regard to dialling into Freeserve once every three months or so - do you have to pay for that? I had an aol account once and did the same thing, just accessed it once remotely and they charged me £15.99 - i.e. they said that I had activated my account and therefore had to pay the charge! Evil

Thanks again.
csogilvie
Grafter

Once you cancel the pay-for account (HomeTime/AnyTime unless they've changed the names) you just need to dial in on 08450796699 once every so often (90 days I think) and all you pay is the phone charges (do it at the weekend and it costs you 1ppm or 5p max)
Simon_M
Grafter

Only the cost of the phone call - just make sure that you don't get distracted by some bit of scandal on the front page & go surfing off without logging off & reverting to your Plusnet connection. Smiley

I'm not sure what system you use to connect to your Plusnet ADSL, but mine is over ethernet via a router to the ADSL line. I don't have to disconnect anything - just double click the Freeserve item in Dial-up Networking & everything automatically takes that route, rather than over my network, until I disconnect it.

I am assuming you have asked Freeserve to downgrade whatever account type you had with them before to a Pay As You Go account. The fact that you can still get their POP3 server to respond to your username & password suggests that you have. They may even have done it automatically - it's a year or two now since I changed & I can't remember what happened.

It's always useful to keep some alternative available. Even Plusnet have their off days. Sad