cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to home wireless network 2 pc's & laptop

N/A

Can someone please advise what hardware I require to wirelessly network 2 desktop pc's Win 98 and a wireless 802.11b laptop win 2000xp pro, for home use.

Any recommendations for suitable brands appreciated.

:roll:
3 REPLIES
N/A

You might aswell opt for 802.11g hardware as this is about to
replace the 'b' standard its faster and will give you more range
on your equipment. It would still be backward compatible with
your laptop card which you could update at some time in the
future if you so wished.
You could use something like Netgears new DG834G.
It's a combined modem/wireless router and also has four ethernet
ports if you wished to add anything wired.
For the PC's you will need WG311 pc cards.
If you ran out of range you could add a wirelesss access point.
Details are here
N/A

Thanks very much for the info Aleca - very useful Wink
N/A

I have been supplying the MRi ASW530 which is a combined Wireless access point and modem/router/switch, 802.11b. works fine, and has the advantage of combining everything into one unit which is neater and reduces the number of power connections needed. This unit is a bit of a pain to configure though, virtually useless manual on CD with an absolutely vital quickstart guide on a slip of paper.
Other thing to consider is flexibility - the problem with one unit for everything is that you have to change that unit to change any individual part. For my personal use I have a Wireless Access Point and a separate modem/router/switch.
It would be easier to advise with more details of what your current setup is (i.e. modem, any existing router, are the PCs networked currently?). If you already have a wired network, then all you need to do is plug in a WAP.