cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to downgrade from 2Meg for a reliable service?

N/A

How do I get BT to reduce my broadband speed?!

I was upgraded to 2Mb and since have suffered from a very poor connection, often cannot get sync and have high attenuation (55-63 db). Can't see why we were ever upgraded to 2Mb.

I have had a ticket open since 21 Sept regarding this, BT have apparently been trying to sort it since. I told Plusnet on 17 October that we simply wanted BT to downgrade us but this still has not happened. Indeed Plusnet still have not responded to my last action on 22 Nov.

Please help, before I leave for NTL!!

Kipper
7 REPLIES
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

It took 6 weeks for BT and Plusnet to downgrade me from 2Meg to 1Meg, so not as bad as you. My modem was losing sync up to 10 times per night and on the odd occasion wouldn't come back in for an hour or longer.

BT finally admitted that my line wasn't good enough to handle 2Meg, so I got downgraded for free. To be honest my line isn't that great for 1Meg either, my modem usually loses sync once or twice a night, though it usually comes back in after 20-30secs, just long enough not to have to log back in to PN.

My in game pings aren't that great and I get the odd lag spike, though I'm willing to put up with these rather than dropping to 512K.

I think the problem with BT is that they have so many of these problems over all the ISP's, the resolution time has increased. I got upgraded a while back, which is probably why it didn't take so long, not that I'm saying I wasn't happy about it taking 6 weeks in the forst place.

I believe if you pay £14.99 to Plusnet, a cost they get charged by BT, you will get downgraded a lot quicker.

Edit - Just to say that my other option is also NTL, but past experience of their terrible Customer Service puts me off.
N/A

I'm back on my old 56k dial-up as "broadband" is non-existent for me now. My router will valiantly keep on trying but more often than not it can't get sync, let alone get a connection of more than 1kb/second!!!

I never thought 56k would seem fast...

kipper
N/A

suffering all the same problems since the upgrade to 2 a well, I thought it was plus and bt's problem, support is so poor wish I have moved to another isp
N/A

As far as I can understand the problem is that BT upgraded too many people too quickly. Now they have to pick up the pieces, while simultaneously coping with BT splitting off the LLU company and companies like Bulldog barking at their heels! Glad I'm not working for BT...

That said, I've been waiting since mid September to be downgraded and I am NOT happy!

Kipper
N/A

Finally ADSL works again...

My ADSL was regraded down to 1 Meg today - at last. Took months though.

So far so good.

kipper
N/A

Gotta give plusnet a bit of support here

I've had the same initial problem as you guys, line dropping lots and turned out my telephone line is over 3km and noise level is to high.

So needed bt retail and then bt wholesale to come out to check my line before plusnet downgrade me to 1mb.

My only beef is that plusnet won't downgrade my speed till my next bill date which is on 18th of everymonth so not long to wait but i am lucky, I would be annoyed if i had to wait 2 weeks or more just to my bill date.

Did you guys make the effort to keep in contact with plusnet and bt? Did you use the pretty good "contact us tickets"? that plusnet use? I find this quite good fun to use and one would usually get a reply from plusnet pretty quickly. Of course this is hopeless if you can't get online in the first place but I've found their helpline to be effective as well.

You gotta help the isp to help you as well you know guys. I suggest you ask plusnet via tickets or helpline to chase up your issues and try to get a time window for when each task will be completed.

From personal experience in life, I've found being polite but firm gets me quicker results than getting angry and abusive. So chill out, take a deep breath, it's christmas for gods sake lol Smiley

Found out from BT man that I'll have a new phone junction box installed in my street for upcoming adsl2..... you cannot imagine how delighted I am with this news lol.

Merry christmas.

King Al
N/A

hi Allen

as far i know, only place needed upgrade for adsl2 in your local exchange, not this "junction box" so u'll still live too far away for full speed of adsl2 sadly,

unfortuantly, BT guys are not fully trained for LLU and adsl2 so i dont know where he got this "junction box" from!

Amen