cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect Router with one ethernet output to two comput

N/A

How to connect Router with one ethernet output to two comput

Hi there,
I am expecting my ADSL router package to be delivered and I plan to connect two computers at the ADSL.Since the router supplied has only one ethernet output I guess that I only need just one hub/switch to connect both of my computers to the internet. Is this correct ? Any suggestions about a specific cheap hub/switch ?

Thanks!
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: How to connect Router with one ethernet output to two co

Yes, a hub is all you need. I'd go to dabs.com and but the chepeast they have!

Jon

N/A

well - depends actually. Some routers have more than one ethernet port. If >1, then no hub is required.

Paul

N/A

> Hi

You may like to install 2 network cards in one of the machines and use that to share the internet connection with the 2nd machine.
one network card of the machine with 2 nic cards to the router and the other nic to the 2nd machine. Use will have to use 2 crossover cables to connect the router and the machines. if u set the tcp settings correctly you should have no problems ...

I have done this way and had no problems sharing the network connections.
espresso_mick
Grafter

N/A

Hi,

The way to get the router set up as a gateway on a local network is to buy a hub/switch and a length of crossover cable to join the hardware together.

Best Regards,

Dave.

--
| David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +

Saturn
Grafter

You don't want crossover cables for a router, hub/switch and 2 PCs. All non-crossover.
N/A

> You don't want crossover cables for a router, hub/switch and 2 PCs. All non-crossover.

You are indeed correct. Please accept my apologies for the error. However, the new 3 Com router that we are providing has the possibitlity to allow for cross over and straight through.

The means to do this is by the flicking of a small switch that is avaiable on the router.

Best Regards,

Dave.

--
| David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
N/A

Too late for you, but if anyone else is looking at this & considering the same thing - I'd recomend not getting a 1 port router pack, just get wires only & buy a 4 port router such as D-Link DSL-504. Cheaper and less hassle than getting a 1 port router & a hub/switch - unless you've already got a LAN.......

> Hi there,
> I am expecting my ADSL router package to be delivered and I plan to connect two computers at the ADSL.Since the router supplied has only one ethernet output I guess that I only need just one hub/switch to connect both of my computers to the internet. Is this correct ? Any suggestions about a specific cheap hub/switch ?
>
> Thanks!