cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many GB a month would "you" consider fair?

N/A

Do you think that 10-15GB per month is fair for a 2Mb premier connection? Or would I get penalised for it?

I used to use around 4GB a month but ever since I upgraded from 512kb I seem to be using a lot more Wink

Your views on what you consider fair would be very welcome!
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The average Broadband user apparently consumes around 7GB per month which means that some are a lot lower and some are much higher.

I would not class 10-15GB per month as excessive.
N/A

10-15GB is defiantley not excessive. A lot of ISP's that offer capped services set the cap at 50GB or even 100GB. So 10-15GB on an uncapped service seems low to me.
Alecto
Grafter

And remember that before Fair Usage was scrapped, Pn were quite happy for people to Download 30Gb a month on the cheapest premier package, and that excluded off-peak downloads and all uploads. (equivalent to, say, 60Gb on the existing VMU meter which doesn't separate these things outHuh)

At 15Gb a month in total, you're not far off a light user.
N/A

PN is a contended service; either 50:1 or whatever.

So, if you multiply your speed, I'm on 576000bits/sec by 60 * 60 *24 * 31 and divide by the contention ratio (in my case 50), then you get the number of bits per month that PN have actually bought for you to connect you to the internet. Divide it by 8 to bytes

So in my case 30 Gigabytes a month.

For a 2M on 50:1 contention, you can do the calculation over or just multiply by about 4 (about 4 times the bandwidth, actually 2000/576) to give: ~120 Gigabytes/month.

Hope this helps.
LiamM
Grafter

Network Contention should now be around 30:1 actually. That would be if everyone was using it together. Rarely do you see an effect as the network is never at full capacity.
lowry
Grafter

I wouldn't worry - that's nowhere near the excessive amounts PlusNet are thinking about (I think). I'd say people who use about 150GB-200Gb (and far more) month in, month out during peak periods are probably entering the excessive bracket in PlusNet's eyes - and I'd say that most of the people that would ever be asked to cut their usage down would be using these sorts of amounts or more.

I'm on Broadband PAYG (5GB pre-paid bandwidth) beacsue I rarely use more than 3.5GB in a month - I know I'm a lightweight Smiley

matt Wink
N/A

I think that 50-70gig would be about right
N/A

It clearly all depends on what you use your net for, if its checking the mail one a day, then a 1gig /month cap would do you fine. If you are a heavy gamer, watch new trailers // game trailers and the like, then you will need far more,just as if you have more than one person on you network at home.

So its a silly question, and the only response is, there should be NO cap at all
N/A

I usually use anywhere from 60gb - 100gb a month and now ive just signed up to MLB.com i will be downloading most of the games to watch on my PC as it works out cheaper than a subscription to NASN on sky, Im on Premier 30:1. I see in the future people will be downloading more and more. I also run a small home network of 3 pcs. Would be nice if Plusnet could adjust the my usage charts to reflect both up and down stream traffic.
N/A

yeah I share my connection between 3 pc's and I listen to internet radio and play alot of games, im sure this is the reason why I use alot of bandwidth
N/A

So... I'm wondering what PlusNet consider officially going overboard before they contact you to cut down to a certain limit.

I know PN shape traffic, but if there's no actual cap, then does that mean customers can max out their connection/bandwidth...?

Any idea, anyone ?  Cheers.
Alecto
Grafter

Last time they got upset at a regular 150Gb plus a month.
But regular is the key,
N/A

I downloaded around 67 gig last month. They should not say unlimited and moan really
Community Veteran

it's in the contract - you mustn't us the service to the detriment of others or something like that - no doubt some one will quote it now. Also it is no longer advertised as unlimited but when it was you are quite right.