cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to activate?

N/A

How long to activate?

How long does it take to get activated? I ordered last weekend and was wondering when I will be able to get on line with ADSL.

Also, I am just over the 5km limit but BT seem to think this will be OK as long as I don't want a 1mb line. After being turned down in the past (through Freeserve) I am worried I will be turned down again.
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: How long to activate?

As you have been turned down before be prepared to be tured down again as an isp does not say yes or no it's BT, if BT has said no once they mostlikely say no again unless you applied for dsl the first time and now you are applying for radsl (plus.net 512 service) radsl allows you to be upto 5.5km away from the exchange.

It usally takes 7-10 working days for dsl however some people have been installed in just over a week.

cUnDaLl

N/A

I didn't know about the other offering from plusnet - I just applied for Broadband. BT told me some weeks ago I was too far away (over 5km line length) but this time around they say it is OK (5.2km) as they have increased acceptable line length to 5.5km for broadband (due to new advertising push).

Guess though, according to you, I'll probably be dissapointed again!

chino
Grafter

Well again i might not be right as if your 5.2km away you sould be fine for RADSL (plus.net), so you could have a chance of having dsl.

Goodluck

cUnDaLl
N/A

> Well again i might not be right as if your 5.2km away you sould be fine for RADSL (plus.net), so you could have a chance of having dsl.

Well, the good news is that within BT broadband there has been some major changes - both with the line lengths and also with the systems we use to actually test lines and process orders. (CSS,COSMOS,OSD,etc)

Back in the early days, we did what was called a "RAT" test which was a basic (approximate) test. Orders were then placed manually in a system known as SPG - Your line could be "failed" because we saw the numbers and "knew" they were too big (or small!) even though technically the product may have worked.

Fortunately the whole process is now much better and much more automated (so uneducated staff WONT be able to fail an order without knowing the slightest thing about carrier techniques), so if it was more than couple of months ago when you were last turned down, you could be in luck!

As for me... Well, I've just left BT Broadband after helping to create part of the new systems (eCO etc) so if anyone wants to hire a Siebel certificated techie with first hand BB experience on both sides of the fence... Shocked)

Good luck! Hope it goes well for you!

Mike
N/A

> > Well again i might not be right as if your 5.2km away you sould be fine for RADSL (plus.net), so you could have a chance of having dsl.
>
> Well, the good news is that within BT broadband there has been some major changes - both with the line lengths and also with the systems we use to actually test lines and process orders. (CSS,COSMOS,OSD,etc)
>
> Back in the early days, we did what was called a "RAT" test which was a basic (approximate) test. Orders were then placed manually in a system known as SPG - Your line could be "failed" because we saw the numbers and "knew" they were too big (or small!) even though technically the product may have worked.
>
> Fortunately the whole process is now much better and much more automated (so uneducated staff WONT be able to fail an order without knowing the slightest thing about carrier techniques), so if it was more than couple of months ago when you were last turned down, you could be in luck!
>
> As for me... Well, I've just left BT Broadband after helping to create part of the new systems (eCO etc) so if anyone wants to hire a Siebel certificated techie with first hand BB experience on both sides of the fence... Shocked)
>
> Good luck! Hope it goes well for you!
>
> Mike

THanks Mike - please see below for another post I've just made - thought you might be able to throw some light on this one!!

My neighbour who has a line length more than me (he's 5.40km and I'm 5.20km) has been activated (and working all OK) with plusnet last week. I applied and my other neighbour and we have both failed. There is no more than 200m between the 2 properties. It seems that the test came back with too much signal loss (I think they said 80db and limit was 55db?).

The overriding weirdness of this is that adjacent properties have failed the test. Both properties are brand new (less than 1 year old) and built by the same contractor.

Has anyone heard of this happening before?

Plusnet now tell me that they will resubmit both myself and my "failed" neighbour again to see if that makes a difference - WHY WOULD IT! Then they would take the issue up with their BT Account manager.

Does anyone else have any advice on how to sort this out?

Thanks

N/A

> My neighbour who has a line length more than me (he's 5.40km and I'm 5.20km) has been activated (and working all OK) with plusnet last week. I applied and my other neighbour and we have both failed. There is no more than 200m between the 2 properties. It seems that the test came back with too much signal loss (I think they said 80db and limit was 55db?).
>
> The overriding weirdness of this is that adjacent properties have failed the test. Both properties are brand new (less than 1 year old) and built by the same contractor.
>
> Has anyone heard of this happening before?

*giggle* Yup.. Happened to me about 2 years ago during the trial!

There really are many factors that affect the line-test results. Infact there are times when we tested a line 3 times and got 3 different results!!

The main things that we looked for during ADSL line tests are :

Length
Routing,
Capacitance
Resistance
Earth Leakage (A-B B-A A-E B-E)

*Length is measured by bouncing a signal down earth-A and waiting for it to appear on earthB. The loss in the signal coming back as well as the time allows SysX to work out the length and resistance.

Length is done via time so not affected, however the weather affects both resistance and capacitance, as does your equipment and any extension wiring. If you disconnect as much as you can while waiting for a line test, you can get a better figure. Also warm, dry days are preferable to a good result too!

*Capacitance is crucial. Too much capacitance means the ATM carrier will be "filtered" out by the line before it reaches your splitter & modem.

This is quite a flexible figure, but is affected by certain makes and models of cordless phones and faxes, 2 wire modems (like PCI card modems with no relay), some old "bell" phones etc. Also, damp conditions create an "electrolyte" between earthA and EarthB on the phonelines and will cause a higher capacitance reading.

Again, disconnecting unneccessary equipment while waiting for a line test can change the result for the better if you're on the fringe area.

*Routing - even if you live next door - the routing of the cable to the DP (green cabinet in the street) or even from the DP to the exchange MDF (Frame - where the wire enter the exchange) can be very different adding length or capacitance to the line.

*Earth Leakage - A fault on the line or a dodgy phone can cause a short between earths meaning your phone will work but can be a bit quiet. It's unlikely this affected your order though as you'd have noticed a quieter ring than normal. This is mainly due to wet weather.

The testing process is automated by a system called ANTAS (Auxillary Network Testing Apparatus System) so there is no limit to how many line tests that you can have (ie, how many times you submit an order for ADSL).

Try again and try to keep the amount of equipment connected to a minimum and disconnect any extensions when they are not in use, etc and you might be lucky.

If you go for it again though I'll keep my fingers crossed for you - and let me know the results!

Hope this helps
Mike Holbrough.