cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How fast, How soon?

N/A

How fast, How soon?

How long will it be before +net intend to increase connection speeds?
I was reading on some site that in japan they have started trials on a GB connection at a cost of £18 per month.

There's already ukonline which offer a 8mb/400k Cheesy connection at £39.99(which i also pay for my 2mb Sad ) but only to a limited area at present.
Surely +net being a successful company of this size should already be looking to the future, and have plans waiting for the go ahead for at least something along the lines of a 4mb connection.
I just feel like im living as part of the stoneage and we can't progress.
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

How fast, How soon?

Its all down to BT not PlusNet.
The only way at the moment would be for PlusNet to get into the Local Loop Unbundling venture and that would require a vast capital outlay.
So until BT decide to provide higher speeds over the local network 2meg is the limit.
N/A

How fast, How soon?

Yes i understand that, but if we have to wait for bt, every other network will be running 20 meg and we'll be the slowest in the country.
Everyone knows that to make money you have to spend money so why not jump on the wagon now while things are still hot and unleash the money making weapon to compete.
N/A

How fast, How soon?

Unfortunatly, LLU won't help the situation of breaking 20Mb to the home.

We have a situation in this country where BT are dominant and little can be done about it. Should a company invest to take things higher, it will be many years before many see such a service. It also faces the point where Bt would then start there own heavy investment, likely beating such a company to the punch.

Said investing company then has the headache where they can't take a decent enough market share and either fall, or forwever again be in the shaddow of the dominant tolco.
Community Veteran

How fast, How soon?

The reason is that as you said in your first post. "Its only available in certain areas" this is because these areas are mainly the exchanges in cities where there is a pretty well guaranteed demand from buisiness etc and the firms that are doing it concentrate on that aspect of internet provision.
What you are asking is that PlusNet make it available Nationwide and as I said it would require a vast expence to do that with no guarentee that the cost would be recouped.

By the way I don't work for PlusNet if you were under that illusion Cool
N/A

How fast, How soon?

From ADSL Guide
"BT Wholesale has notified ISPs it is upgrading its network infrastructure including moving IPstream users to larger ATM Virtual Paths to support faster speeds in the future. This move will affect every user of the service with loss of service expected for between 2 and 30 seconds.

At the same time, BT is offering ISPs the option to upgrade the speeds of each IPstream connections at 250Kbps, 500Kbps and 1Mbps to 2Mbps or if this is unsuitable for the line, the highest possible rate. These upgrades are on a "per ISP" or "per IPstream domain" (some ISPs have multiple domains for different types of customers) basis so it is not possible to upgrade individual end users through this programme. ISPs can also ask for an upgrade to a specified speed (e.g. 1Mbps) if they wish. Where this upgrade takes place, an outage of up to two minutes should be expected.

The work will commence 23rd February 2005 and ISPs will be notified of a one week window during which the upgrade takes place."

What will Plus Net be doing towards this will we be getting "free" upgardes to 2 meg or 1 meg?Huh
N/A

How fast, How soon?

I doubt anything will be free mate,

s I was comaplingn earlier, 4mb is here nad readily available cheaply in London. Plus net woud rather irritate its london based customers and lose them completely rather than do anything to assist. Around the world plenty of people aremore advanced, i have friends in Holland with 100mb lines, and Sweden is currently upgrading form 10mb, average, to 100mb. Were simply internet wise, a thirdworld country.
N/A

How fast, How soon?

Sjuddin, can I ask if you know anything of how the broadband market works in the UK, other than know where what speeds are available?

Are you aware of what suppliers there are, how they make it available and how ADSL is supplied to companies like PlusNet?

I don't mean to mock or jibe you, but it seems as if you only want to blame PlusNet for a problem that is not theres.
N/A

How fast, How soon?

Gb connections in japan oh my god that is taking the rip. The ukonline service 8mb is this stable service as i heard some guy of the xbox forums say it were rubbish.
Sheepdog
Grafter

Japan set up

Remember that in Japan they have Fibre to the corner of every street so the copper wire is always very short to the home so those high speeds are available to all. Until the whole wires network is upgraded to something similar in the UK we will always be behind. The cost of such an upgrade would be so high that any company who payed for the work would want some protection that they would be able to get a return from the work that it would look for a closed marketplace to third arties using their new network, so prices could be held high and uncompetative until they feel that they have recouped their investment.
N/A

How fast, How soon?

Another part about Japan is population density.

They get to to so many people, as the population per square mile is high, in the area it is available.

The same thing in the UK would only be offered to cities.
the_norris
Grafter

How fast, How soon?

Also a lot of these countrys Broadband is Subsidised by they Governoments as that are state own or part owned.

BT is private company now, so controll by share holders.
N/A

How fast, How soon?

I am currently on 2MB... Quick enough for everything I do (and for most ppl) but I wish the upstream would increase to 400 or 512 Sad
visor
Grafter

How fast, How soon?

same here, i wish that too. Sad

[Moderator's note by Chris (Eurotrain4): Full quote of post directly preceding this one removed as it's unnecessary]
N/A

How fast, How soon?

we will see it, as more and more LLU takes place bt will be forced to change their pricing and products compeat. Then theres ADSL2+ etc...