cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get my MAXDSL to Retrain Speeds

N/A

I was up graded to MAXDsl just over a week ago. My router was reporting sync speeds anywhere from 366k to 4 megs for the first five or six days.

During this time my stable rate shown here (https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate) was 2000Kbps. By Friday it had dropped to 1000Kbps. Basically the same as I was on before the upgrade.

I spent Friday working on my phone system. I have cleaned and polished the corroded terminals on the back of the master socket. I have taken the RF filter out of circuit. I have disconnected the ring wire from the house phone wiring.

The result of all this is my modem reports it is connected at 3424Kbps. Result! or so I thought.

I acheived all this Friday evening. The PlusNet stable rate still reports 1000Kbps. I have rebooted my router every day since making these changes and still it reports the same.

Now I have got my router to sync consistantly at a higher speed how do I get PlusNet to increase my speed?

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

as shown on the above link? I hvae tried rebooting the router once a day as advised on the page.

Here are the current router stats;

System Up Time 14:26:53

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3424 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 57.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 9.3 db 16.0 db
17 REPLIES
N/A

its very simple get a 56k modem & use dial up. it works faster for me then my Broardband does since I was maxed a few weeks ago & as for suport forgt it.
Community Veteran

Hi cerberos

You could see if the BT profile matches the PN stable rate you have.

http://speedtester.bt.com/

Post back.
N/A

I have tried the BT Speedtester many times. I cannot get it to work.

The plusnet and ADSLGuide speed tests both report back with a download speed consistant with a 1 Meg connection.

The BT Speedtest just doesn't work. Once I enter my phone number and press go, nothing happens.

Occasionally after several minutes it comes back with " the systmis bust, try again later". Mostly it just sits there doing nothing.
Community Veteran

The BT Speedtest just doesn't work. Once I enter my phone number and press go, nothing happens.

It is often slow and sometimes errors out or times out.
You need to wait longer.

You only need to get it to finish once to find out the profile you have been set at the exchange, so I think it is worth persevering!
N/A

I've run Tiscali's speed test

Your current bandwidth reading is:

957.40kbps

which means you can download at 119.68 KB/sec. from our servers

Found here http://speedcheck.ispconnect.co.uk/

But I can't get BT speed checker to work.

I'll try it again in the morning, after my daily modem re-boot
Community Veteran

Well ok.

I've just had to try 4 times to get it to work. Got there though. Wink

I now know that my profile has dropped by 500kbps, from the previous 5500kbps to 5000kbps.
my stable rate on PN is 6000kbps, which is the same as it has been for some time.
I had suspected this test would show some drop in profile, because my line has started to synch at lower rates in the evenings now it is getting colder etc.
N/A

Ok BT speed test worked at 07:45 this morning.

Here are the results;

Test 1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
IP profile for your line is - 1000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 3488 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 918 kbps

As you can see my profile is set at 1 meg even though I am syncing at over 3 megs.

Back to my original question, how do I get the profile updated to reflect the higher sync speeds now I have changed the wiring in my house?
smillie-world
Grafter

I would also be interested in this answer too. I have the exact same problem.

Today is day 10 of being upgraded. My router is left on 24/7, and once or twice a day I have switched it off and on, and left it. Every time the router shows somewhere between 3500kbs and 4000kbs. The PC gets turned on at least once a day, and is probably runnning for one to three hours, longer over the weekend.

When I first got upgraded, the download speeds were a noticeable improvement. Plus Net showed I should that I should expect 3500kbs. Over the last several days that number has steadily dropped and now shows 2000kbs, despite my router telling me otherwise. Plus Net's speed tester (in Connection Settings) is also slowly dropping to below the reported speed I can expect.
smillie-world
Grafter

I've just read this article, http://www.dslzoneuk.net/adslmax_explained.php.

Towards the bottom, in the Data Rate section, is suggests that if you're continually getting a good sync rate but low download speeds, then you may have a stuck BRAS profile. This sounds like a ticket needs raising to get this corrected.

Can anyone confirm?
sophos9
Grafter

Yea, I agree... You will be best to wait 10days after being MAX'ed and disconnect your modem once a day for the 10 days.

After 10 days, submit a ticket with 3 BT speed tests showing your IPprofile and a copy of the MSR as indicated by PN, they should sort it straight away....
Community Veteran

@ cerberos

I obviously didn't read your original post properly!

I thought you were already outside the 10 - 14 days.

The simple answer is to give it some time I'm afraid.

However if after 10 days the BT profile has not changed, you can raise it in a ticket.
Include the profile data obtained form the BT test when you do.

BTW When your profile changes on the BT test, it can still take a couple of days for PN to update their own profile (the stable rate page).
sophos9
Grafter

lol.. copycat Tongue
ady
Grafter

i thaught when you use
http://speedtester.bt.com/

you had to disconnect then reconnect with login name: bt@speedtest.net ( not this but something like it)

thats how it worked for me, but i got a vibe off other people that u just keep pressing refresh. which one is it ? ^^
sophos9
Grafter

For the new speedtester to work, you must be logged in with your ISP account...