Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I check the broadband speed?

N/A

Hi,
I just got my broadband activated today! Cheesy
I am not what speed I am getting. How do I check?

Cheers
8 REPLIES
Njal
Grafter

Community Veteran

... but if it's just been activated chances are it'll be up and down like something rude for about 10 days before it settles.
so give it a chance before worrying too much

also http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk is reliable

paul
Liam
Grafter

Our own Broadband Speed Checker is available at http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk

It's not currently integrated into the Portal but will be at some point in the near future.

You'll notice it's based on the same software as speedtest.net and www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk if you've tried them.
N/A

I have tried the others and I strongly recommend http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

This is far more impartial and accurate than the above and you are able to rate your isp's as well so other consumers who are looking for a broadband supplier can see who the public think are the best at any given time. You don't have to sign up or any nonsense like that either....it all takes under a minute.

Who knows, one day you will be going here for advice on who to go with?
Community Veteran

Who knows, one day you will be going here for advice on who to go with?

Your comment which I have highlighted above concerns me, which is rather unconstructive and unsupportive.

I have seen your other thread in which you are indeed aggrieved somewhat, but that gives you no cause to start "stirring the pot" elsewhere in the forums.

I urge you to think a little before posting in a similar vein.

To clarify to anyone else reading this who is not aware - you do not have to sign up to any of the speedtester sites to run a speedtest.

Other factors to consider is the location of the speed test server and the number of tests that it may be performing at a given time of day - to say that one speedtester is more impartial than other is not true.

Roger.
James
Grafter

Re: How do I check the broadband speed?

Hi,
I just got my broadband activated today! Cheesy
I am not what speed I am getting. How do I check?

Hi there,

The best place to check is by running a BT Speedtest. It might also be an idea to read the mother of all blog posts about speed queries. We have you profile at 4500Kbps currently, in line with BTs profiling.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

James,
Just read your blog and its an excellent description of MaxDSL and its foibles and may well help some people to diagnose their problems before posting. I just wondered if a sticky link to it in the forum would be useful and/or a reference to it in your existing one 'Connection Speed Queries' in the Community Support forum ?
James
Grafter

It is linked in the Connection Speed Queries sticky in the Community Support forum, titled "additional reading".