cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change VCI/VPI settings on speedtouch modem ?

N/A

I opened up a ticket with plusnet on why I was not receiving their broadband. The reply was that the VCI/VPI setting should be 0 and 38. Mine is 8 and 35 with an Alcatel Speedtouch modem I got from eBay.(How I wish I had opted for Plusnets free modem offer !). How do I change these settings ? I did not get a set up disc with the modem. Sad Sad

Thanks
7 REPLIES
N/A

It will either be in the modem controls within control panel, or you will need to find some of the programs that go along with the modem. If you search within google, the site for the modem it's self, may allow you to download them.
Community Veteran

Which speedtouch modem is it?

Try the drivers and manuals here.

Copies of the install CDs & Dr speedtouch diag software can be found here.

For some speedtouch modems you can specify the VPI/VCI in the dialled number field as 0,38
N/A

Thanks guy's very much for your help. I will try and download the driver for the Alcatel Speedtouch USB from the site you mentioned.
N/A

Which Speedtouch modem is it?

If it's the Speedtouch 330 then it is indeed possible for the modem to have those settings you mentioned.

See the screenshot below:

There are actually a two versions of the Speedtouch 330.

and

Now as far as I am aware the hardware is indentcal and it just the outward appearance that's changed.

IIRC, when you try and install the downloaded drivers, the installer will try and locate a config file that is originally installed from the Speedtouch CD-ROM.

This config file is not included with the updated driver you can download from the Speedtouch site and if it cannot be located either on the PC or on the CD-ROM, then IIRC the driver doesn't installl correctly.

However, the installer does enable you to browse to where the config file may be located. You then just need a copy of the config file. Wink

I remember reading a message board where someone had uploaded the config file to enable those without an installation CD-ROM to install the newest driver. Unfortunately, I can't remember which sit/forum I saw this mentioned. Sad

Maybe someone could send you a copy via e-mail? Wink

Also, remember to install the driver BEFORE plugging in your modem.
--
Regards
Ripperoo
N/A

Thanks Ripperoo, As I said in my last message it is the Alcatel Speedtouch USB, which looks like a Stingray and is a turquoise colour.
I think I will be able to download the driver for it from the site that petervaughn sent me, although whether it will let me change the VCI/VPI settings is another thing.
My son is browbeating me into bidding for the Alcatel 330 modem, the second one you showed, which I am loathe to do. I may have to however, if all else fails.

Thanks again
[/img]
N/A

Hi denbodenn

I should've read your post a bit more closely methinx. Sad

However, I do know which modem you mean now (it's a pretty ugly looking thing IMO) Wink

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about that particular modem. Sad

Being new to ADSL myself, I got familiar with the Speedtouch 330 whilst installing broadband for a friend and liked it's simplicity.

So I bought one from ebay for about a fiver and it's spot on.

The one I got is the black slimline one, but seems to work just the same as the silver or burgundy ones (I think it's basically just the shell that's different).

Only wanted the black one coz I'm trying to replace all my long in the tooth beige stuff. Wink

Anyway, if you have no luck with the Stingray, there's plenty 330s on ebay, which I guess is due to a lot of people opting for routers or because they already have modems when signing up to a new ISP.

Good luck.
--
Regards
Ripperoo
pt1158
Dabbler

Hi,
does the Alacatel modem look like the one on this page:

http://www.adsldrivers.co.uk/

If so, I think you need to download the phonebook.ini on that page and use it in place of the default one included with the drivers.
I haven't used one of these 'Frog' modems for a while, but I seem to remember that's what I did.

Hope this helps.