cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I tell if I'm on DSLMax?

N/A

All my connection problems started around the time of the automatic upgrades, but as I'd never had an email saying I was being upgraded I assumed I wasn't. However I've read several people post now that they've been upgraded without any notice from PN, so I'm wondering if I have too? If so, how can I tell?

The only clue I can think of is the speed that my router reports:

Up Speed - Down Speed
288000 - 2272000

Is this the "sync speed" everyone keeps referring to? If so, 2,272,000 bps seems more than 2MB to me. 2MB should be 1024 x 1024 x 2 bits = 2,097,152 bits in my book. So by that measure, it looks like I have something like 2.25MB.

So is this DSLMax? If so, it's not very quick, considering that I'm only 610m from the exchange.

Any opinions on these figures, or suggestions on how else I can tell please?
25 REPLIES
N/A

Looks like a standard 2Mb line to me. Same as I am on at present.
geoffers
Grafter

One point I discovered on adslguide.org - in network speak 1k = 1000 (not 1024 as in computer speak) so 1m = 1000*1000 not 1M=1024*1024
Alecto
Grafter

The easy way to tell is that Max syncs upstream at 448000.
If it's 288000, then you're not on max.
N/A

Ah, thanks.
N/A

The easy way to tell is that Max syncs upstream at 448000.
If it's 288000, then you're not on max.[/quote

Is that also the case when you've been moved to the Tiscali LLU?

I have the higher upload speed, but my down speed has NOT changed once, constantly 2.59Mbit. No variation ever. I thought in the first 10 days it tried different speeds?

How can I verify I'm on DSLMAX?!
shellsong
Grafter

There are two probable upload speeds associated with the present LLU packages-- up to 256Kbps domestic and up to 800Kbps business. If your equipment is showing 448Kbps you are almost certainly on MaxDSL whatever your download synch speed may be
N/A

It's showing 601Kbps upstream, and 2.59 Mbps downstream.

Since this falls in to none of your categories, I don't think you can make any assumptions with these new LLU's. You might have been able to with BT.
shellsong
Grafter

Are you on a business account by any chance?-- that might explain it.

One thing I missed out is that there is a business variant of MaxDSL that I think has a higher upload speed. If the upstream SNR isn't high enough you won't reach the maximum of the relevent package anyway but it sounds as though you are on a non domestic variant
Alecto
Grafter

I thought I remembered reading on here somewhere that with LLU, you got a faster upload speed - 600k or thereabouts - even if your download didn't change.

Perhaps somebody who knows for certain could comment?
N/A

I'm on home (not business) Broadband Premier.
Alecto
Grafter

According to an email I got ages ago from Pn, your upload speed does increase with LLU, even residential.
They don't give a figure though, but google suggests "with the upload speed almost doubling, to a whopping 768Kb"
So it's definitely more than 448, and I think 768 as a sync speed for upload looks likely.
N/A

So if you're on LLU then you can't use the upload speed to determine if you're on DSLMAX. So how else can you tell?!
Community Veteran

There is only one LLU package that PlsuNet use which has a DS speed of up to 8Mbs and an upload speed of up to 800Kbs.

There are two Max products: IPstream Max has DS up to 8Mbs, US up to 448Kbs and IPStream Max pro has DS 8Mbs, US 832Kbs.

If you can run the BT speedtest then you are still with BT - Note: tey both test IPs as one does not always work.
If you are on a residential product and your US is > 448Kbs you are on LLU
If you are on a business product then it is more difficult to tell.
If you US speed is < 448Kbs but > 288Kbs then it is difficult to know if you are on Max or LLU but your are on one of them.

Or you just raise a question and ASK.
Alecto
Grafter

I knew if we stumbled on for long enough, somebody who knew what they were talking about would come along. :lol: