cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I find out......

N/A

How can I find out......

on how far I am from my local exchange. I'm desperate to have 1 or 2mbit but I have a terrible feeling I'm to far away. I'm already on adsl so why wouldn't I be able to get the higher speed anyway, any techies out there that could explain this to me I'd be grateful.
TIA.
12 REPLIES
chino
Grafter

RE: How can I find out......

It's to do with line noise/quality as far as i am aware, plusNet use RDSL which allows normal ADSL users such as yourself to be 5.5km away from the exchange. However for the 1mb/2mb line you must be a max of 3.5km from the exchange, even if you are less than 3.5km away but the quality of the line is poor then you might not be able to get the 1mb/2mb connection. The only way to see how far you are away from the exchange is either walk there yourself (only a rough idea though!) or get upgrade your line to the 1mb if it fails ask to keep the 512kbps line.

The distance factor for 1mb/2mb lines would most likely the loss of signal eg over 3.5km and it's not strong enough to carry 2mb.

Mark
N/A

> It's to do with line noise/quality as far as i am aware, plusNet use RDSL which allows normal ADSL users such as yourself to be 5.5km away from the exchange. However for the 1mb/2mb line you must be a max of 3.5km from the exchange, even if you are less than 3.5km away but the quality of the line is poor then you might not be able to get the 1mb/2mb connection. The only way to see how far you are away from the exchange is either walk there yourself (only a rough idea though!) or get upgrade your line to the 1mb if it fails ask to keep the 512kbps line.
>
> The distance factor for 1mb/2mb lines would most likely the loss of signal eg over 3.5km and it's not strong enough to carry 2mb.
>
> Mark

Would the lovely people at BT be able to tell me how far I am away from the exchange?
chino
Grafter

yes they should be able to but usally only if it fails (eg if you have applied for a 1mb line and it fails, when it fails plusNet would be given a reason why it failed /if it did).

It's always worth a try just ring them up they might even have it on record when they carried out the first test for your current DSL connection.

Mark
N/A

> yes they should be able to but usally only if it fails (eg if you have applied for a 1mb line and it fails, when it fails plusNet would be given a reason why it failed /if it did).
>
> It's always worth a try just ring them up they might even have it on record when they carried out the first test for your current DSL connection.
>
> Mark
>

Phoned BT they won't tell me said I'd have to ask plusnet how far I am then they would have to ask BT. Bit of a con on the part of BT me thinks, because if I register for it and it fails I will have to pay another activation fee just to go back to my adsl line as it is now.
chino
Grafter

> Phoned BT they won't tell me said I'd have to ask plusnet how far I am then they would have to ask BT. Bit of a con on the part of BT me thinks, because if I register for it and it fails I will have to pay another activation fee just to go back to my adsl line as it is now.

Thats not right, if it fails you should have your money back and still keep your DSL, thats what happens if you have ISDN (they take it out then test the line and then if it has failed then they reconnect ISDN for free).

Send a ticket to PlusNet explaining everything...

They will help you out..

Mark
N/A

> on how far I am from my local exchange. I'm desperate to have 1 or 2mbit but I have a terrible feeling I'm to far away. I'm already on adsl so why wouldn't I be able to get the higher speed anyway, any techies out there that could explain this to me I'd be grateful.
> TIA.

Hi Adrian,

Basically BT won't tell us exactly what the length of the line is - however, obviously if you were to submit the order for 1 or 2Mb, we will be able to tell you quickly whether or not BT says your line can support these speeds.

You can also try putting your number into www.bt.com/broadband - this can give an indication.

Regards,
Richard

--
| Richard Allen................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

> > on how far I am from my local exchange. I'm desperate to have 1 or 2mbit but I have a terrible feeling I'm to far away. I'm already on adsl so why wouldn't I be able to get the higher speed anyway, any techies out there that could explain this to me I'd be grateful.
> > TIA.
>
> Hi Adrian,
>
> Basically BT won't tell us exactly what the length of the line is - however, obviously if you were to submit the order for 1 or 2Mb, we will be able to tell you quickly whether or not BT says your line can support these speeds.
>
> You can also try putting your number into www.bt.com/broadband - this can give an indication.
>
> Regards,
> Richard
>
> --
> | Richard Allen................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
I can't do this yet though because I am already on adsl with you and no upgrade is available. If I just pre registered anyway under a different username would this affect my line now, and would I have to be disconnected while they do a line check. God I'm confused.
N/A

> I can't do this yet though because I am already on adsl with you and no upgrade is available. If I just pre registered anyway under a different username would this affect my line now, and would I have to be disconnected while they do a line check. God I'm confused.

Hi,

If you were to pre-register under a different username, nothing would happen to your line as there is a service already on it.

A change of service requires a Cease and Reprovide - at the moment, if you were to do this and the reprovide of a faster service fails, you would need to pay another activation fee to have it reprovided on the previous speed you had (unfortunately BT do not have a proper rollback scheme for this yet).

The best indication if your line can support a higher speed is if we were to do a "WOOSH" test on it.
Please raise a ticket if you wish this done - I can appreciate that this can be a bit confusing!

Regards,
Richard

--
N/A

> > I can't do this yet though because I am already on adsl with you and no upgrade is available. If I just pre registered anyway under a different username would this affect my line now, and would I have to be disconnected while they do a line check. God I'm confused.
>
> Hi,
>
> If you were to pre-register under a different username, nothing would happen to your line as there is a service already on it.
>
> A change of service requires a Cease and Reprovide - at the moment, if you were to do this and the reprovide of a faster service fails, you would need to pay another activation fee to have it reprovided on the previous speed you had (unfortunately BT do not have a proper rollback scheme for this yet).
>
> The best indication if your line can support a higher speed is if we were to do a "WOOSH" test on it.
> Please raise a ticket if you wish this done - I can appreciate that this can be a bit confusing!
>
> Regards,
> Richard
>
> --
> | Richard Allen................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

dO I NEED TO BE OFFLINE TO HAVE THIS WHOOSH TEST DONE. aND THANKS FOR ALL YOU RHELP.
N/A

> dO I NEED TO BE OFFLINE TO HAVE THIS WHOOSH TEST DONE. aND THANKS FOR ALL YOU RHELP.

Hi,

There is no need to go offline, simply raise a ticket if you want it done Smiley

Regards,
Richard

--
stonechat
Grafter

To find out the distance from the exchange ring
17070 - pause - 3 - pause -1 - pause - 2
(There are some recorded messages) If I remember correctly however you can't do this once you've be switched over to ADSL.

My distance came out as 3.49 km - which is fine as I'm on 512k service

Bob
N/A

> To find out the distance from the exchange ring
> 17070 - pause - 3 - pause -1 - pause - 2
> (There are some recorded messages) If I remember correctly however you can't do this once you've be switched over to ADSL.

Can I just pass on something BT asked us to tell customers about this service. PLEASE don't run the test during normal working hours. The system has a limited capacity and is required by BT engineers, who are often stuck in dangerous positions (Ie up big poles). There is apprantly nothing more frustrating for the BT guys than finding the test service busy when they need it urgently.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support