cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I find out if I can get a 2mb connection

N/A

Hello

Is there a website I can go to that will let me know the maximum speed my BT line can take?

I currently have 1mb and would like to upgrade, plus.net say this cannot happen as yet, how can I keep tabs on progress made by BT.

I live in Lower Earley, Reading
6 REPLIES
craigbrass
Grafter

Go to http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php and enter your phone number and postcode. Then click "BT ADSL" from the tabs down the left. It will tell you what you are capable of getting.
Grff
Grafter

I was thinking the same thing, so checked that link, put in my phone number and it said:

Your exchange is enabled for ADSL!
There is capacity at your exchange for further ADSL connections.

The following level of service is available at your location:

You can receive 2Mbps ADSL
You can receive 1Mbps ADSL
You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
You can receive 256Kbps ADSL

However, there appears to a compatibility issue with your phone line. This could be caused by an existing broadband connection, ISDN, a DACS unit, TPON, a pending ADSL order or many other common issues. This will need to be resolved before ADSL can be supplied to your line.

The bit at the end about the line compatability issue, as it suggests possibly an existing broadband connection, is it likely to be saying that just because I already have a 512 connection, and anyone know if it will be a problem.

Cheers.

Griff
N/A

Hi griff,

You are correct. That is simply because your line already has ADSL and will not present a problem.
Damfoose
Grafter

just checked mine ..... Thanks for the link by the way as I was wondering why I had not got the full 2 meg when I upgraded.... darn exchange is only rated to 1 meg ho hum looks like im going to have to wit a while longer
N/A

Funny, cos I looked at mine and it said I can only have 512K, yet I have 1Mb. Go figure!
N/A

The BT database has proved to be inaccurate in the past.