cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Many Microfilters Do I Need?

N/A

I seem to be getting mixed messages as to how many microfilters I need. My situation is that in my upstairs socket only my ADSL modem will be plugged into it. In my downstairs socket I have the sky digital line and normal telephone line. Could anyone please tell me how many microfilters I need, and does the manufacture of them matter i.e. can I just but the chapest one?

Just as a last point, any recommendations for which modem to buy?

Many thanks
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

How many you need depends on how your wiring is set up.
The rules are that every device on the line should be seperated from the ADSL modem by a filter but this could be just one depending on your layout.

Example.

At my setup here I have just one filter. The master phone socket has a 10mtr extension cable plugged in and at the the end of this is a filter / splitter.
The ADSL modem is connected into the modem output of this splitter and then a 2 way phone socket is connected into the phone side of it.
This 2 way socket then feeds my 2 telephones on by the PC and another upstairs.

So every device other than the Modem is passing through the Low frequency side of the splitter.

Hope this helps.
N/A

Thanks for quick reply. So just to make sure, as I currently have an extension cable (sumthing ridiculous like 25m) for my analog modem, I can just plug a splitter into this extension cable and have the ADSL modem going into the extension cable? Is the manufacturer of the splitter important?

Also, looking around I have found a U.S Robotics SureConnect Modem that I am interetsed in buying, don't suppose you know if this has a good reputation, if not which modems do?

Many thanks
Community Veteran

I am a bit confused by what you are saying here? and not quite sure which end of this extension cable you are thinking of plugging the splitter into.

what you must avoid is having the ADSL modem connecting via the phone side of the splitter. This would happen if you were to put the splitter downstairs and then had the extension running upstairs with the modem on the end of it.

I think in your situation the best thing would be to buy 2 splitters and a 2 way telephone adapter. Plug the adapter into the master socket downstairs and put one splitter and extension into this adapter.
Run all the downstairs devices from the telephone output of the splitter.
Upstairs plug the second splitter into the end of the extension and you can then feed the ADSL modem from one output and the 56k modem from the other output.

As to splitters it seems from previous messages in the forums that cheap is not always best and you should try and get decent quality ones.

As to the modem I can only suggest having a look at the ADSL guide site and see the reviews on there. www.adslguide.org.uk
N/A

Yeah seems we have gotten a little confused! But I think you have answered my question anyway. What I meant is that is it possible to plug my ADSL modem via a spiltter into the phone line extension lead. There will be nothing else running on the upstairs socket, only a 25 metre extension which has a spiltter on the end, which has only an ADSL modem plugged into it.

It was just my first thought was that I would have to buy an RJ-11 extension lead to plug the ADSL modem into a spiltter and then the socket, I didn't realise you could use a normal phone line extension instead, but from what you have been saying it seems this is possible.

Many thanks
Community Veteran

Ok I think I now know just what you are trying to do and you can use the phone extension to carry the ADSL signal upstairs.

But don't forget that you will still need all the downstairs phones and other equipment to be connected by a filter as I mentioned before.

Best of luck and if you need any further help then please just ask.