cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Long To Activate My Line?

N/A

Hi Guys

Well I started the ball rolling way back on the 10th September and after a bit of a mix up with my DD details +Net got my initial payment last friday and shortly afterwards, my account status showed that my order had been submitted to BT for ADSL activation.

How long does this part of the activation prcess take?

I was under the impression that it would be 7-10 days. Is that 7-10 actual days or working days?

Stating to get a little impatient now, coz this 56k dial-up suxa$$!. Sad
--
Regards
Ripperoo

:?:
4 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

It is 7 - 10 working days and these will run from the day your DD was processed.

It wont be long. I can remember my impatience whilst waiting for activation.

It'll be well worth the wait though.

Good luck and welcome.
N/A

Good luck and welcome.

Thanks pcsni

Patience is summat I'm not very good at. Wink

I probably wouldn't be too bothered tbh but after fixing a friends PC yesterday (who has 512k BB ), I came home and used mine and it seemed evem slower than it usually does. Almost treacle-like download speeds. Sad

This happens every time I go and fix his PC. Sad

Just can't wait to see what speed I get.

Various checkers say 2mb is possible and being only 1.7km from exchange, I'm hoping I'll get the full-ish speed.

Unless of course my line is not up to the job (possibility of it being aluminium). Sad

Anyway, thanks again.
--
Regards
Ripperoo
N/A

It wont be long. I can remember my impatience whilst waiting for activation.

LOL, not in my experience. The whole provisioning of my DSL service has been a joke from start to, well, not finish yet.

I moved in to a new place at the start of August only to learn that BT couldn't reconnect the phone line until 31st August. They eventually managed this on 7th September after a lot of griping from me, whereupon I promptly ordered Broadband Plus from PlusNet via dialup, with an activation date of 14th Sept.

Trouble was, in order to get my line working BT had had to DACS it, this after my having told them I wanted broadband. So when the order came through to BT from PN I had the same engineer up the pole across the street removing the DACS he'd installed 2 weeks earlier. It then took a further 4 days to get connected to the DSLAM at the exchange (which is in fact quite a trivial job). During this whole time getting any useful information out of PN was nigh on impossible, as they seemed to be at least 48 hours out of sync with what was going on at BT.

So I eventually got my activation email on Friday (23rd) and guess what, the DSL didn't work - it can only connect intermittently. I complained in the ticket to PN but after waiting 24hrs with no a response I decided to phone them. It turns out I've been configured for 2Mbps and the chances are that since I live over 3.5km from the exchange (the upper limit for 2Mbps) and have old, poor quality cable, my line just won't support 2Mbps. BT and PlusNet must have know this but still went ahead and configured a 2Mbps service anyway. So I'm still waiting for a usable DSL connection almost 3 weeks after ordering it.

And that's not best part - I've just had a huge bill and a letter from BT saying I'm using the phone too much (for dial-up) and that they'll have to restrict my phone service unless I pay up now. All because they and PlusNet can't sort their lives out.

Some of these problems are down to BT, others are down to PlusNet. But when I order a broadband service, I expect the ISP to be able to handle provisioning efficiently and communication effectively, which PN aren't doing on either count. I worked for a major commercial ISP for several years and there are always issues between ISP and telco but it's up to the ISP to find effective ways to resolve them. It seems PlusNet aren't.

I've just filled out the PC Plus questionnaire and PlusNet got 'Very Dissatisfied' on all counts.

Anyway, hope you don't have to wait long....
N/A

Hi there,

Welcome to the forums and Plus Net.

I am sorry that you have had such a difficult initial experience and I have to say that it is rare.

Unfortunately the issues you have experienced are a catalogue of events wholly outside of Plus Nets control and entirely in BT's hands and as such it is BT who have caused the hassle. BT do not tell Plus Net anything about line quality etc and these things only become apparent after a problem has been raised.

I am also aware of the communication difficulties between BT and ISP's at times and once again you have fallen victim to this.

The only finger of blame which we could point at Plus Net in this instance, is their apparent lack of communication with you, the customer. This matter has been mentioned in the past and I can only hope that measures are put in place to rectify this. The ability to pressurise their BTaccount manager has also been highlighted and again we can only hope that this improves.

Now that you are up and running I hope you enjoy your new ISP.

I hope you will become an active member of the forums and look forward to seeing you posting again