cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotmail and MSN messenger

N/A

Ever since installing ADSL 3 weeks ago I've had real probs getting to Hotmail and MSN messenger. All other sites have been good.
Does anyone else get the 'cannot find server' error regularly with Hotmail? It's not like it all of the time, only about 95%. 5% of the time it goes through fine. I have no problems with my dial up account.

If you have time I would appreciate it if you could click this www.hotmail.com and let me know what you get.

Thanks

Spen
19 REPLIES
N/A

I get redirected to

http://login.passport.net/uilogin.srf?id=2

and page opens fine.
N/A

Likewise, same as smithclan.

Are your DNS set correctly ??
212.159.13.49 primary
212.159.13.50 secondary

Otherwise, any firewall running ?Huh
N/A

What equipment/modem/router are you using?

I remember when I got my Netgear router, the support pages would say that there was sometimes a problem accessing all Microsoft sites, e.g. MSN, Hotmail, etc...just wondering if you can access www.microsoft.com ?
N/A

Yes, DNS is set as shown although a call to plus net suggested swapping primary for secondary and vice versa as a test but this gave no improvement.

I'm using the plusnet supplied Binatone router. I'll check out access to microsoft.com and let you know. Thanks for your replies by the way.
Community Veteran

2 things to try:

- If you are running a software firewall, disable it. Some firewalls need to be uninstalled before that stop interfering with your connection. If you don't have a firewall I urge you to get one installed.

- For some firewalls like zonealarm, adding the DNS IP addresses to the trusted zone can sometimes solve web access problems.
N/A

I'm only currently running a firewall on the server on the network. Does that have any effect on the workstations? I didn't think so but am I wrong?
I've also noticed that whenever I do a tracert, the first hop always times out no matter which url I type in. What does that mean?
On the Hotmail tracert I never actually reach Hotmail.com. On other tracert's, eg plus.net I do but still with the first hop timing out.

Tracing route to plus.net [212.159.8.137]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 48 ms 34 ms 33 ms lo1.plusnet.pth-ag2.plus.net [195.166.128.6]
3 315 ms 47 ms 35 ms gi1-2.vlan3.pth-gw4.plus.net [212.159.1.3]
4 370 ms 73 ms 33 ms gi4-0-22.pth-gw1.plus.net [195.166.129.209]
5 312 ms 259 ms 648 ms atm0-1-0.ptb-gw1.plus.net [195.166.129.246]
6 289 ms 560 ms 471 ms vl4.pri.ptb-gw4.plus.net [195.166.129.228]
7 981 ms 458 ms 352 ms portal.plus.net [212.159.8.137]

Trace complete.

Is this any good for pointing me in the right direction
N/A

The first hop in yoru case is your own equipment on your own network. See the configuration to allow pings again.

However, hop 5 onwards looks very very odd in your trace. THey are very high resilts.
N/A

Philip, thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately I need a bit more explanation.

What does 'See the configuration to allow pings again' mean? I understand that the first hop is on my network but have no idea why there would be a problem. (unless it's the router?? Binatone supplied by plusnet)
N/A

A traceroute represent a map of the nodes (routers) that your data goes through to get to its destination.

So hop one is your router, hope two is the equipment at PlusNet, hop 3 another router at PlusNet, and so on.

If a hop doesn't reply or the request timesout, it is represented with a *. At the same time, because it didn't get a responce, it can't tell you the IP address of that node.

Based on the value of the second hop, we know that hop 1 must be your own router.

As such, we also now know it is blocking the ping/traceroute requests to its own IP.

You can usualy enable or disable this functionality in the configuration screens for the router.

However, there is little or no need to see the results from this hop, and for the most part, you can safely ignore the fact it isn't responding.

Provided you know the first hop is your router, the rest of the data will be the stuff you need anyhow.
N/A

This is what happens with a tracert to www.hotmail.com. It never actually reaches the IP it's looking for, or at least that's what it looks like to me. This happens every time. Does this mean that the problem is with the IP after the last one that responded 166.49.164.74 or what? Would you imagine that my setup is OK from this?

Tracing route to www.hotmail.com [207.68.173.245]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 65 ms 32 ms 39 ms lo1.plusnet.pth-ag2.plus.net [195.166.128.6]
3 41 ms 33 ms 65 ms gi1-2.vlan3.pth-gw4.plus.net [212.159.1.3]
4 34 ms 38 ms 50 ms t2a1-ge9-0.uk-lon1.eu.bt.net [166.49.211.9]
5 55 ms 47 ms 63 ms t2c2-ge5-0.uk-lon1.eu.bt.net [166.49.135.114]
6 42 ms 48 ms 61 ms t2c1-p10-0.uk-eal.eu.bt.net [166.49.208.109]
7 119 ms 121 ms 118 ms t2c1-p5-0.us-ash.eu.bt.net [166.49.164.74]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.
N/A

Spen,
Did you ever get this hotmail access problem sorted. I've got exactly the same problem, symptoms and tracert listing. Infuriating.
Steve
N/A

...aahhhh, excellent. A fellow sufferer. I thought it was just me! Yes, we still have the problem and no one at PlusNet seems to know what it is. They just tell me that it must be my problem as Hotmail works for them.
If I keep re trying the url for hotmail, eventually it gets through but it's a real pain in the backside. Are you the same?
N/A

The fact that lots of people can connect via the plusnet network suggests somethink might not be quite right with your setup.

It could be your router or firewall is blocking certain ports or is not forwarding the right ports.

It could also be a problem with the MSN/HotMail network, where some accounts resting on difference machines and they have problems with bandwidth to those machines.
N/A

Latest:

Hotmail seems to be working for me this morning. No problems accessing it. What's changed? Nothing at my end that's for sure. What else could it be?