cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homesurf & Port 6883 on Azureus outbound traffic query

N/A

My Dad is on the homesurf product and I was trying to use his PC when I was round there yesterday to remote control (via a browser over port 6883) a PC somewhere else on the Internet that was running Azureus and the remote access plugin. When I do it from other locations it's okay; however when I try to do it from his I get a DNS lookup error - I can only assume it's cos port 6883 is blocked to him cos P2P isn't allowed on Homesurf.

Am I right?
4 REPLIES
N/A

True.

P2P is not permitted on Home Surf. Plus net in recent months have become much more proactive in ensuring that P2P cant be access on these accounts.

Only option is to upgrade.
N/A

He doesn't need it - it was just convienient for me at that time and me puzzled for a few mins.

I spose since he's not downloading the stuff then there's no harm in the port on the host being changed to a different one that's not P2P used and then it'll work...

Chrz though for confirming my suspicions.
N/A

If its for convenience, and you are not connected at home at the same time, you could substitute his connection details for yours whilst you need to use P2P. I'm pretty sure that this is allowed, as the only provision against it seems to be that you will not use your account more than once at a time to access the service.

A good workaround in this situation, or a bad idea?
N/A

t'was my connection I was wanting to remote control

I think the alternative port may be the way - I know it can be done over port 80 or 443, I just didn't want to port fwd all that traffic to my main box.

That said, port 6883 is also a known trojan port!