cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Premier v HomeWorker Pro ?

N/A

Hi,

My exchange is about to be activated so just looking for some advice from anyone who uses these services (Home Premier or HomeWorker Pro).

I know the contention ratio is lower on the HomeWorker Pro (20:1), just wondering what speeds are like on Home Premier 1Mb? is there a big slowdown in busy periods?

Does HomeWorker Pro drop in speed in busy periods? or does it remain pretty constant?

My budget is £30, so I would either go for the Home Premier 1Mb or the HomeWorker Pro 512kb.

Edit: my main use of this is for online gaming.

Any info from anyone who uses/has used any of these or from PNet staff would be appreciated.

Regards

G.
11 REPLIES
N/A

I have 1mb home. I wud go 4 home bit cheaper
N/A

This is a tough question to ask, and is near impossible answer.

I have a Home 1Mb (50:1) account,t hat never slows at any time of day. This would rule out any PlusNet side issues.

This would leave it pretty mcuh down to the exchange you are on, as to if you get problems.
Community Veteran

Homeworker pro is designed for business customers and I think plusnet will only allow this on a business line, not a residential line.

For home use you should use the Broadband Home based products.

There is actually little difference in terms of speed, and slowdowns when busy are rarely noticable with either package because BT never max out the contended links at the exchange anyway. With the new products, contention is more controlled by the ISP that BT so is pretty meaningless on those products now anyway.
N/A

Homeworker pro is designed for business customers and I think plusnet will only allow this on a business line, not a residential line.

Surely the "Home" in "Homeworker" would suggest otherwise?
N/A

You can have any ADSL account type on a home line. plusNet can't tell between a home and business BT account.

I hear reports of people claiming you can't have a residential (IPStream Home) account type on a business line, though from one install I have seen, this does not seem true.
N/A

I ordered my Homeworker Pro 6 days ago and I am working from home as a web developer, my line is residential so I would imagine there will be no problems. As already stated surely the 'Home' in 'Homeworker' would indicate this to be the case, otherwise you wouldn't be a home worker...lol.

I opted for the 20:1 ratio just to be on the safe side, assuming BT ever bother to let me know if my line can handle adsl... 6 days and still waiting...
N/A

I'm on homeworker pro and it's on a residential line atm, I'm thinking in regrading however to the cheaper home premier option as it is £25.00 cheaper, but the £39.99 regrade fee is putting me off (bit steep if you ask me)
N/A

Thanks for feedback

One questions on the replies:

acarr: I have a Home 1Mb (50:1) account -
Is this the HomeWorker 50:1 (£39.99) account or the standard Broadband Home account (£29.99 for Premier)?
What is the contention ratio of the standard Broadband Home (Premier) account?

BTW I did search the site for contention ratios and could only find values for the HomeWorker & HomeWorker Pro.

Thanks very much for the feedback, much appreciated.

Regards

G.
Community Veteran

Re: Thanks for feedback

I have a Home 1Mb (50:1) account -
Is this the HomeWorker 50:1 (£39.99) account or the standard Broadband Home account (£29.99 for Premier)?

If you have an ADSL Home 1Mb account then it is neither of the two you specified. It is one of the old (now discontinued) accounts. You will have to pay a fee to switch it to one of the new broadband home accounts.

What is the contention ratio of the standard Broadband Home (Premier) account?

50:1 for 512K and 1Mb (oth premier and capped), currently 20:1 for 2Mb (again both premier and capped) but this will change to 50:1 when the IPStream home 2000 product is released by BT soon. It's currently 20:1 because the IPStream office 2000 is being used for the 2Mb connections which is 20:1.

However, the contention ratios are less of an issue now as the ISP really controls the contention with CBC based pricing and BT rarely max out the DSLAMS at the exchange.

BTW I did search the site for contention ratios and could only find values for the HomeWorker & HomeWorker Pro.

That is because they are no longer being shown due to my previous comments.
N/A

Thanks Peter,

I don't have ADSL yet, I was quoting acarr, apologies for not making that clear.

acarr Posted: 05 Jul 2004 10:49 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a tough question to ask, and is near impossible answer.

I have a Home 1Mb (50:1) account,t hat never slows at any time of day. This would rule out any PlusNet side issues.

This would leave it pretty mcuh down to the exchange you are on, as to if you get problems.

That's why I was asking whether it was a HomeWorker or Broadband home account they were using as the Homeworker is 50:1 and I couldn't see a contention ratio for the Broadband Home.

Thanks again for info, appreciated.

Regards

G.
N/A

thats me got 2mb home premier now and Theres no difference that i can see other than the following..

I now have a free email Anti virus service, with HW Pro I didn't
I now have Email spam filtering, again, with HW Pro I didn't
It's 26 quid cheaper than homeworker pro

For speed and other services I already had are still there Cheesy