cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Networking & ADSL

N/A

Home Networking & ADSL

I have been running a home network with 4 computers through a 56k modem connection for years now, and now I have signed up for plusnet adsl will I still be able to use my network through the one connection to the internet, sorry if this is a bit lame,
Mark : Shockedops:
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Home Networking & ADSL

Yes get a 4 port router and you can have all Pcs accessing at the same time.
N/A

Home Networking & ADSL

Yep, something like a DLInk DSL-504 or Netgear DG814 will suit you perfectly - each has a built in 4-port switch that'll permit up to 4 machines to connect at once.
N/A

Home Networking & ADSL

Thanx for the replys, I am using a netgear DS104 4 port hub at the moment connecting 3 desktops and one server will this do?
Mark
jberry
Grafter

Home Networking & ADSL

Hi Mark,

You have a choice, you can go for a 4 port router (giving you one port for each machine you currently have) or go for a single port router and plug this into a hub or switch.

If you choose the latter you would need to get yourself as new hub because you would need a spare port to connect to the router.
N/A

Home Networking & ADSL

Of course, a router is the best way of connecting to DSL, but if you want to keep your existing set up without needing to change anything, then the simplest thing for you to do would be to get a DSL modem as opposed to a router.
Community Veteran

Home Networking & ADSL

No it's not because he has already used all theports on his existing gear and would need a fifth one for the modem!
A 4 port router would cover all the needs. Smiley
Community Veteran

Home Networking & ADSL

The modem would plug into one of the machines which would then act as a gateway.

But yes a 4 port router is the best idea.

Chris
N/A

Home Networking & ADSL

Yep, a router is the best option.

I have a Vigor 2600We, that provides a 4 port 10/100 switch, wireless, Firewall, P2P integration with Microsoft, MSN features (nice), built-in ADSL model and other cool features.

I would dump the hub, unless you intend share the connection from a single machine (much like the dialup configuration you have).

Jez.
N/A

Home Networking & ADSL

Or, you could buy an internal pci modem (£30?) and then use internet connection sharing to connect your hub to your pc, then connect things to your hub.

I think that would work.
Community Veteran

Home Networking & ADSL

Yes it would but it means that you would always have to have the PC with the modem turned on and you are also drawing CPU usage of that machine

Using the router with built in ports makes every PC independent and only the router needs to be powered up.
N/A

Home Networking & ADSL

I totally agree that a router was the best way to connect, which is why, if you remember, I said "Of course, a router is the best way of connecting to DSL" Smiley

However, you have to remember that a lot of people just want to do things the way they are used to, and for some, a modem may be the best way to go - just for the sake of simplicity, and not having to learn anything new or change anything. From what the original poster said, it sounds as though he has Internet Connection Sharing set up on his network. With a DSL modem, he could connect it to the USB port, and simply set it as the shared connection in DUN (network and dial up connections - whatever!). There's a tendency for people who read forums regularly to assume that everyone is comfortable with the technology, and happy to experiment. Try reading the following as an inexperienced home user:

I have a Vigor 2600We, that provides a 4 port 10/100 switch, wireless, Firewall, P2P integration with Microsoft, MSN features (nice), built-in ADSL model and other cool features.

It wouldn't make much sense, and could be quite intimidating.

I agree that routers are the best way to connect to DSL, and I wouldn't dream of using anything else. I just think that sometimes it's good to remember that internet users are diverse, and what might be the ideal solution from a techie point of view might not be the best option for an inexperienced home user (not that I'm suggesting that the original poster is inexperienced..... just always a good idea to keep an open mind!). So yeah... just suggesting an alternative Cheesy
Community Veteran

Home Networking & ADSL

I understand it apart from the "Wireless Firewall" that has got me baffled :?
However I do take your point about not all users having the same knowledge level. So I'll consider my legs smacked. Cry
I do think though that in this case he has already established a network and managed to set up Internet sharing, so just changing a hub for a router should be well within his abilites. Wink
N/A

Home Networking & ADSL

:? Doh,
Now thats gon and dun it. I am not new to computers but I may be classed as a novice when it comes to networking, especially when it comes to routers etc. Let me explain in more detail what I have at the present.
All machines are running Win XP, I have one computer that is just a desktop with no monitor or keyboard that I class this as a server into which the Netgear 4 port hub connects and all the other computers connect to the hub as well. The "server" has a US Robotics modem connected to it which is the connection to the internet and all other computers connect through the hub to the "server" which has ICS enabled, does this make sense?
I wanted to know is it possible to remove the US Robotics modem and install the USB ADSL modem that Plusnet are supplying in its place and connect to ADSL broadband that way, still using ICS on the "server". This would be the simplest and cheapest way for me, and as atomik has said, not all of us are techie minded, but if this is not possible then I would have to invest in a router and try and find out how to set one of those up, firewalls and all that can come at a later date me thinks. Thanks for the info so far anyway.
Mark
Community Veteran

Home Networking & ADSL

Yes you could just replace to dial up modem with a usb ADSL one and continue to use your Internet sharing.
You could also leave the Dial up one in place as its easy to select from Internet Explorer which one to use.

I still have my 56k dial up modem in on of the machines and use it for sending fax, and as the last resort to shout at Plusnet if ADSL goes down.