Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Network Traffic Management

Firejack
Grafter

Hello.

Recently as my ADSL connections capacity approaches maximum. I'm having problems with 1 or 2 of my 3 computer ,on my home network being totally unable to browse the internet or check emails.
What tips the balance is as soon as a friend plugs in a fourth machine or someone logs into my web server my network just seems to get bogged down in terms of Internet access.
Is there anyway I can prioritize traffic for certain protocals?

Ideally I want gaming pings to be given top priority,
Then HTTP and POP,
Then Video/ Audio Streaming,
Then FTP and other downloads.

How would I implement this on a Home network? Both my Windows XP machines have this QoS Packet Scheduler tool which seems to do nothing. Its limited to optimising the network connectionss for just the machine its running on.

Can't really say I've come across any form of Network management on my Suse Linux box. But I'm still getting the hang of that so I'm probably missing something somewhere.

Am I right in believing the only solution would be to run some sort of QoS server or perhaps get a router which supports traffic management?

What options are there and how much is this likely to cost? :roll:

Cheers Cool
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What ADSL router are you using to connect all your PCs together? Does this contain a hub or switch or do you use a separate hub to connect multiple PCs.

What is using all the bandwidth, identifying this may be a start in working out a solution. If you are talking about p2p/kazza type activity then you only have yourself to blame Wink If you are all playing online games then ADSL is not really designed for high throughputs unless you can upgrade to 1Meg/2Meg, but even then the upstream speed is still only 256K.

I do not know of a for home use router or equipment that supports bandwidth capping / management. To do what you want to will likely involve some very expensive equipment in the £1000s of pounds range and possibly a change to your present network config. There are also no software solutions that I know of because they have to be either in the router or between all your PCs and the router

I don't think any home router supports Qos, certainly not in the price range that the current ADSL routers are targeted at.
N/A

You need a router with QOS bandwidth management.
These are more expensive than ordinary routers as they
usually come with other features such as VPN.
A good one is Zyxel 652H.
Most manufacturers eg. D-Link, Linksys make them further up
their range but check because not all have modems so you
may need an ethernet modem, or connect to your existing router,
if you already have one.
Alec
Community Veteran

Firejack
Grafter

I'm using an Asus 6000EV Router and a Netgear FS605 switch.

The majority of my upstream bandwidth seems to be stolen by our gaming sessions and my FTP/ web server. I've set it up so my friends can upload small files (signature images, screenshots etc). Its not accessed that much but when it is everything goes to a crawl. Its even more sluggish then when you are streaming down a 500K music video :shock:

This bandwidth issue isn't a 24 hour problem. I'm just looking for a solution to knock off the peaks. I really wanted a software solution. Shelling out for a new Router just isn't possible right now Sad

Thanks for the links to the Routers though.
madswitcher
Grafter

Have a look at the Linksys routers - I think it is the model BEFSR81 that has QoS capability either by port on the Ethernet switch, or by aplication type. I had a similar problem with my son downloaded affecting my browsing and VPNing into work.

Cheers, Mike