cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Highway to ADSL Migration?

N/A

Can I draw on the experience of others? Ross-on-Wye is ADSL enabled by 30th July! Need to plan my migration from Home Highway to ADSL.

Important wrinkles.. I want to keep BOTH analogue numbers associated with Home Highway, and I want to get back to Home Highway should the line test fail..

Presumably the only way to keep the second analogue number is to install another PSTN line and have the number ported? Don't want to pay in advance for a a new PSTN line only to discover that the original line fails the ADSL test. I suppose I could have all calls from line 2 diverted to line 1 in the interim?

I guess it's all in the timing? Any ideas/suggestions/experiences appreciated.
23 REPLIES
N/A

My sugestion would be to contact BT.

Because of the compexity of your request, only BT could answer some of the questions.

To migrate away from ISDN will remove the number from your line, which is what you don't want.

To keep it, you would likely need to migrate away to two PSTN lines, via BT, and having to fork out to get re-connected, should ADSL fail.
N/A

So... Just to be sure.... It is probably best in my case to ask BT to ADSL enable my current Home Highway line BEFORE approaching PlusNet about upgrading my account?

Fortunately, I happen to have TWO Home Highway lines installed, one is for business. I can probably switch to using the business line while ADSL is sorted out or the orginal Home Highway re-installed should it fail.

Apologies if that's a particularly pedantic question!
Mike_Grice
Grafter

So... Just to be sure.... It is probably best in my case to ask BT to ADSL enable my current Home Highway line BEFORE approaching PlusNet about upgrading my account?

Fortunately, I happen to have TWO Home Highway lines installed, one is for business. I can probably switch to using the business line while ADSL is sorted out or the orginal Home Highway re-installed should it fail.

Apologies if that's a particularly pedantic question!

Hi there,

You're in a tricky position here, really.

There is a scheme we use that allows us to remove your ISDN and install ADSL at the same time, however this would only leave you with one line. I would personally contact BT on 150 and let them know what you plan to do and what your options are, just be careful they don't put BTOpenworld on your line (it's been known to happen!)

I think if you must keep your number you're going to have to convert to 2 analogue lines then make an order, although if you're lucky they may be able to convert the HH to just your business number on a PSTN service and ADSL enable that one.

Either way, let us know how you get on, I'd be interested to find out what BT's position is on this situation.
N/A

See my PM for an ironic twist on this challenge!

Tell me.. your scheme to remove ISDN and install ADSL,,, will it also put the ISDN back if the line test fails? What is cost of service?
Mike_Grice
Grafter

See my PM for an ironic twist on this challenge!

Tell me.. your scheme to remove ISDN and install ADSL,,, will it also put the ISDN back if the line test fails? What is cost of service?

Hi there,

Yes, if you qualify for the move (you'll need to ask BT) they will switch your line back FOC if it's not compatible. The price from BT to remove the ISDN is £50+VAT (and will appear on your phone bill).
N/A

There is a scheme we use that allows us to remove your ISDN and install ADSL at the same time, however this would only leave you with one line. I would personally contact BT on 150 and let them know what you plan to do and what your options are, just be careful they don't put BTOpenworld on your line (it's been known to happen!)

Ok Mike.. I'm being a thicket.... originally you said we, which I took to mean PlusNet... Who do you really mean?

I gather that you are essentially suggesting that best approach for me is to sort out phone lines, get BT to do the HH de-install/ADSL check/ADSL enable BEFORE attempting to upgrade my account with PlusNet?

Oh yeah and... 150 and Home Highway users? Nah.... Despite what it says on your bill.. Wink
N/A

I have had a response from BT, and I quote...

ADSL works over a PSTN line, so a customer with Highway needs to have their
line converted back to PSTN before ADSL can be provided. BT have a process
in place that means that if an ISDN/Highway customer places an order for
ADSL with a service provider, the conversion back to PSTN is automatically
sorted out. There is a conversion fee for this of £27.99 (incl. VAT).

If the conversion is successful, it should be noted that Highway termination
charges may apply. Some providers, but not all are waiving the termination
fee. If, after converting the line back to PSTN, we find that we cannot
provide ADSL over that line, we will convert the line back to Highway at no
charge.

If the process above is followed, it minimises the number of visits to the
exchange/customer's home which is why we can reinstate the Highway line with
no charge (i.e. the conversion back to PSTN, the line test and the
subsequent reinstating of the Highway line can be done in one visit to the
exchange). Anyone that chooses to manage a conversion independently of this
process (i.e. terminate their Highway line themselves before placing an
order for ADSL with a service provider) is responsible for all costs
incurred.

Although most service providers, including BT’s own, follow this process,
some do not so it is always best to check first. You will also need to
check whether both numbers can be retained.

Regards

Name Deleted by jpkso

BT Wholesale, Broadband Deployment

So... Can I have a £27.99 one please Mike?
N/A

OK.. Further BT update..

Can PlusNet issue a Stop and Retain and Caller Re-Direct via BT Wholsale? Seemingly most ISP's 'should' be able to?

Assuming you can.. The Stop and Retain ensures the second Home Highway number is retained. The Caller Re-Direct diverts people elsewhere.

Assuming we pass the line test.. THEN I contact BT to action the installation of a second PSTN line AND have the original 2nd line from the Home Highway ported.

Oh yes... and what about this £27.99 thing? Wink
N/A

jpkso, where did you find out about BT only charging 27.99+VAT for the ISDN/ADSL conversion?

Also, does any body have any idea how I can get out if the 12 month HH contract without paying the rest of the term??

Any information that I can use to give BT less cash would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
N/A

The only way to get out of HH is to pay the rest of the term.

On business account, it's possible to upgrade a line, which can sometimes get you out of highway contracts, however, there is no package that you could upgrade to, as a residential customer.
N/A

jpkso, where did you find out about BT only charging 27.99+VAT for the ISDN/ADSL conversion?

Also, does any body have any idea how I can get out if the 12 month HH contract without paying the rest of the term??

Hi navadadynamics - The £27.99 + VAT was in an e-mail response from someone working for BT Wholesale's Broadband Deployment Team. The e-mail was in response to a question I posed on BT's website, can't recall which one now.

I don't believe the £27.99, and I haven't been able to get confirmation of it. I suspect, and that's all it is, that it MIGHT apply if you are intending to use BTO as your ISP. Still, I have the e-mail that says it's £27.99, and when the bill arrives....

In terms of early termination of your existing HH, I think acarr is right, you have to pay for the full contract term. It may be worth investigating if they can do anything if you use BTO as your ISP, I don't think they can, but it may be worth asking.
N/A

I knew I wouldn't be able to get out of the contract, but one can try.

As for the conversion charge, one thing I have thought of is the fact that BTO offer this conversion free if you join them. Does this constitute another monopolising tactic and does it warrent the attention of Oftel..? Surely doing this gives BT an unfair advantage over other ISP's!

One last thing, has +net ever offered the conversion for free, I thought I saw something about it on the boards a while ago. If so, why is this no longer the case.

Thanks.
N/A

If BTO are doing the conversion for free, then this is somthing oftel should be looking into.

The conversion charge, if the conversion is sucesful, is charged directly onto the BT account, rather than by +Net / other ISP.
N/A

I understand that this is a charge by BT, but I'm sure at one point +net offered to absorb the fee to get people onto ADSL as do other ISP's. I could of course be completley wrong on that.

As for the actual amount BT charge, I've discovered that there appears to be a range of charges offered, from £25.53+vat right upt to £50 inc vat.

BT's own price list states the connection fee for ADSL as being £25.53+vat. And underneath that is says:-

"Charges for conversion from Home & Business Highway/ISDN 2/2e are included in the standard connection charge."