cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Higher than normal usage

NeilyC
Dabbler

Higher than normal usage

Might be worth downloading a bandwidth monitoring program to see what your computer is up to.

A nice simple one is "Batch Bandwidth Monitor" (just Google it). It should show you how much data transfer is going on while your computer is on.

I have done this and it seems that for every web page that I visit, my download amount goes up by about 100k a time and the upload goes up about 50k - this cannot be right

Is there any way to test if this is due to failed packets and line noiseHuh
7 REPLIES
NeilyC
Dabbler

Higher than normal usage

Hi,

I have just recently joined +net (2 days) and have been very impressed with the setting-up and customer service that I have received so far.

However I do have one question that I was wondering if you guys could help me with. (forgive me if this has been answered in another thread)

I am on Homeuser Lite 2mb speed with 1gb allowance.
Windows XP Home SP2 with all the latest patches etc.
All virus/antispam protection is up-to-date,

With my previous supplier I seldom went over the 1gb limit and so naturally thought that the same would apply here (but with faster speeds), I have just checked my usage graph and found that I am up to nearly 700mb in just two days!!!

There has been no additional downloads (other than virus defs updates etc) and no unusual surfing going on - also, I do not do p2p.

Any ideasHuh

Thanks in advance.
Community Veteran

Higher than normal usage

Does your ADSL modem/router show activity. If so, when you are not doing anything, is there activity on the line? If so then something is still using your connection.

Do you have a wireless connection and if so, is it fully secured so no-one else can use it?

Have yo checked what other apps are running incase you have any spyare & trojans?
NeilyC
Dabbler

Higher than normal usage

Thanks for the reply.

I am not using wireless. But my data light does come on now and again when there should be no user activity.

I am fairly certain that I don't have any virus/trojans as all the programs that I have say nothing.

The pc was only for a couple of hours yesterday (saturday) to check imap emails and check out some bbs and yet the usage chart still says I used over 200mb!

Is this something that should be raised with support?

Thanks
Midville
Grafter

Higher than normal usage

I would just run some AV / adware progs just to be on the safe side. You can never be too sure, i am using MS Antispyware and Adware with spybot thrown in for good measure.

If your usage has suddenly jumped, it is worth running the progs just to be sure. My Router uses between 25 mb when I am not using the 'net' most I have seen it 'eat' is 75 mb in 1 day.
N/A

Higher than normal usage

Alright Mr C.

Your usage does sound very high. For a couple of hours light usage (and my router connected 24/7) I get through at most 40 to 50mb. I don't know if IMAP will use a lot of bandwidth, but I think Plusnet include most (all?) things within their transfer so things like messenger might make a big difference too.

It might be worth looking at your Task Manager in XP to see what network usage is when you aren't doing anything.

Does your usage go up overnight when not the PC is off? The bandwidth monitor page should update every hour or two so that might point to anything non-pc related.

Also, this thread seems to be a similar problem, with a whole host of suggestions!
NeilyC
Dabbler

Higher than normal usage

Hi R,

Well I can say for certain that I do not have any security holes that would account for it.

Macaffee, Stinger, Adaware, Spybot and MS Spyware programs all report negative after a full exhaustive system and files check.

I have also tried the shieldsup feature of grc.com and the results were a 'very secure' computer.

As mentioned in my earlier post, my last ISP's usage was hovering around the 1gb/m range and to have used this within 4 days is worrying. My surfing habits have not changed.

I might raise this with support to see if they can suggest anything else.

Thanks
N/A

Higher than normal usage

Might be worth downloading a bandwidth monitoring program to see what your computer is up to.

A nice simple one is "Batch Bandwidth Monitor" (just Google it). It should show you how much data transfer is going on while your computer is on.

As a thought, there could be an issue with a connection that is too fast / too much line noise for the speed which is causing lots of data to fail and be re-sent? Unsure of the technicalities of that one, but worth a thought.