cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Higher or lower

N/A

Higher or lower

can anyone clarify whether SNR (signal noise ratio) should be higher or lower on maxspeed adsl to get best download and upload speeds, i have looked all through website and i confused. i am asking because i am being told my SNR is low and this could be why my speed is rubbish.
thanks

below are my figures from modem

DownStream UpStream
Channel Bit Rate(Kbps) 7072 448
Relative Capacity Occupation(%) 100 58
Noise Margin(dB) 7.5 20.0
Output Power(dBm) 20.0 11.5
Attenuation(dB) 36.5 25.0
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Higher or lower

The way that Maxdsl works is that it increases your sync speed to see what your line will support.
As it increases the speed the SNR goes down due to the wider bandwidth of the signal.
So the faster your speed the lower the SNR.

As for download speed you need to use the BT speed tester and see what that gives you, especialy the figure it gives for your IP settings. which is the speed that BT are limiting you at.
Firejack
Grafter

Higher or lower

The higher your SNR the faster your connection can be, upto a maximum of 8Mbps (7.15Mbps in reality). As your speeds go up your SNR goes down though.
Once your SNR goes under 6db you may find your connection becomes unstable leading to frequent disconnections.
To fix this your SNR can be increased in 3dB increments at the cost of ~500kbps bandwidth to stabilize your line.

To me your numbers looks fine. 7Mbps at 7.5 SNR is pretty good.

Does the SNR vary at different times of the day, particularly evenings?
N/A

Higher or lower

thanks for your replys.
firejack my SNR does vary between 7db and 7.5db at different times of the day and my download speeds vary between 6.5mb and 7.5mb.But the problem i am having is i am not getting these download speeds.i get no higher than 1.8mb at anytime of the day despite plusnet telling me i should and my router reporting speeds of over 7mb continuesly. i have done varous speed tests using the sites provided my plusnet and bt and they all report my speed at 1.8mb.i am at my wits end as what to do i have an open ticket concerning this matter with plusnet but there seems to be a reluctance to deal with it and i have had no replies yet. i have changed router from wireless to an old adsl modem same results, i have updated firmware and even changed filters on the phone line.arghhhhhhh