cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High processor usage when connected

N/A

High processor usage when connected

Hi

I happened to be running System Monitor yesterday and noticed that the processor usage was running at 50%, with no applications ruuning, just the ADSL connection (not browsing).

This morning I switched on and ran System Monitor straight away. The ADSL connected and I started browsing (IE6)- the usage was low, < 10%. Then after a few minutes, for no obvious reason, it went up to about 50% again, which is where it is now.

If I stop the ADSL connection, the usage drops right down straight away. Start it, and it goes back up- in fact I just did that and it has now gone up to a steady 75%. Neither the ADSL or DUN icons in the system tray are flashing, and there's no disk access.

I've got a Duron 800 with MegaSpeed ADSL PCI Modem (Conexant chipset), and Conexant AccessRunner software.

Is this high CPU usage normal? The fact that initially I can browse perfectly well without the usage going above 10% would imply that it's not, so if anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful to hear them.

Customer support suggested a CPU upgrade (which I was planning to do soon anyway), but I think there's more to it than that.

Regards
John
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

RE: High processor usage when connected

Perhaps the modem relies on system resources like some software based dialup modems.
You will get better results with a router and ethernet card.

If you are concerned that something else is eating your connection open a command window (DOS window) and type netstat, this will show you all the active connections between your machine and the outside world.

Chris

N/A

Looking at the reviews on http://adslguide.org.uk it seems that the Conextant based PCI modems have an average CPU% of around 6%. Given the CPU% you mention, it sounds like you either have a duff modem or there is another system process helping itself to a little more CPU than it should.

Out of curiosity, which OS are you running?Huh
N/A

I'm also running a duron 800 with the same pci card and i'm getting an average cpu usage of about 2%.
N/A

My adsl server has the Conexant ADSL modem, and is a Duron 900, and average CPU usage is about 7 - 10%.

Sure you haven't got any spyware that kicks in when your adsl connects?
N/A

> My adsl server has the Conexant ADSL modem, and is a Duron 900, and average CPU usage is about 7 - 10%.
>
> Sure you haven't got any spyware that kicks in when your adsl connects?

Many thanks for everyone's responses.

I've run Ad-aware and Spybot, and I've got AVG anti-virus installed, but it's still happening.

It's all very strange- I just tried running a process viewer program called PrcView, and systematically killed each process until I was left with only 4- essential Windows processes KERNEL32.DLL and MSGSRV32, and applications SYSMON.EXE (the System Monitor) and PRCVIEW.EXE (the Process Viewer). Even killed Explorer, so no desktop! Still 25%. Killed PRCVIEW.EXE- no change.

Could it be some sort of hardware conflict, so loads of interrupts are being generated whose servicing by the CPU keeping the usage (relatively) high?

Having said all that, this time the usage seems fixed at about 15%. Well it was until I just hit the "Stop ADSL" button (down to ~0%) then the "Start ADSL" button- now it's running at 75%! I give up.

Any further thoughts/suggestions more than welcome.

John
N/A

> Hi
>
> I happened to be running System Monitor yesterday and noticed that the processor usage was running at 50%, with no applications ruuning, just the ADSL connection (not browsing).
>
> This morning I switched on and ran System Monitor straight away. The ADSL connected and I started browsing (IE6)- the usage was low, < 10%. Then after a few minutes, for no obvious reason, it went up to about 50% again, which is where it is now.
>
> If I stop the ADSL connection, the usage drops right down straight away. Start it, and it goes back up- in fact I just did that and it has now gone up to a steady 75%. Neither the ADSL or DUN icons in the system tray are flashing, and there's no disk access.
>
> I've got a Duron 800 with MegaSpeed ADSL PCI Modem (Conexant chipset), and Conexant AccessRunner software.
>
> Is this high CPU usage normal? The fact that initially I can browse perfectly well without the usage going above 10% would imply that it's not, so if anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful to hear them.
>
> Customer support suggested a CPU upgrade (which I was planning to do soon anyway), but I think there's more to it than that.
>
> Regards
> John

I guess it could be the anti virus program itself eating away at your cpu
N/A

> I guess it could be the anti virus program itself eating away at your cpu
>

I don't think so- the AV processes were one of the first ones I killed off, and it didn't make any difference to the usage. Obviously I've tried disabling it as well.

This morning it's 45% by the way.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

> > I guess it could be the anti virus program itself eating away at your cpu
> >
>
> I don't think so- the AV processes were one of the first ones I killed off, and it didn't make any difference to the usage. Obviously I've tried disabling it as well.
>
> This morning it's 45% by the way.

You dont have a internet/multi media keyboard, ie extra keys for IE Home Page, mail / play CD's etc? As I have that if I use older driver versions for mine.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

> You dont have a internet/multi media keyboard, ie extra keys for IE Home Page, mail / play CD's etc? As I have that if I use older driver versions for mine.

I don't, but out-of-date drivers did cross my mind. I try to keep everything up to date, but as yet the one thing I haven't been able to check is the drivers for the modem itself. It's labelled as "MegaSpeed ADSL PCI Modem", made in Taiwan, and in the 3 weeks I've had it (bought 2nd hand off a mate who himself hadn't had it long but switched to some sort of wireless setup) I haven't found a driver which I'm certain is the right one. Perhaps that should be my main line of attack.

I'm running Windows 98 original (with updates) by the way.

I'm on holiday for a week from tomorrow, so if anyone else offers suggestions I won't be replying until next weekend.

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

It's labelled as "MegaSpeed ADSL PCI Modem", made in Taiwan, and in the 3 weeks I've had it (bought 2nd hand off a mate who himself hadn't had it long but switched to some sort of wireless setup) I haven't found a driver which I'm certain is the right one. Perhaps that should be my main line of attack.
>
> I'm running Windows 98 original (with updates) by the way.
>

Drivers for that modem[exactly the same as mine] can be gotten from http://www.themad-house.co.uk/

It's just a Conexant PCI modem, some setups are better using the oldest some the newest drivers.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

> Drivers for that modem[exactly the same as mine] can be gotten from http://www.themad-house.co.uk/
>
> It's just a Conexant PCI modem, some setups are better using the oldest some the newest drivers.

Gus- sorry for not replying earlier, but thanks for this. I downloaded and installed the drivers without any problem, but it doesn't appear to have helped- CPU a steady 60% as I type this (must be my speedy typing Smiley, although it does vary.

However I've had a Windows XP Pro disc lying around waiting to be installed for a while, so perhaps now might be the time to give it a go.

John