cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High ping times.

N/A

High ping times.

Hi,

Ive recently changed over from ISDN to 1mb ADSL and am very happy with it. My only concern is the high ping times im getting in games. Heres WinMTR output from one of the servers:

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host 82.133.85.2 - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| lo0-plusnet.ptn-ag1.plus.net - 0 | 41 | 41 | 46 | 49 | 78 | 47 |
| lo0-plusnet.ptn-ag1.plus.net - 0 | 41 | 41 | 46 | 47 | 63 | 46 |
| ge0-0-0-901.ptn-gw1.plus.net - 0 | 41 | 41 | 46 | 46 | 47 | 47 |
| lon1-10.nildram.net - 0 | 40 | 40 | 46 | 47 | 62 | 47 |
| lon1-9.nildram.net - 0 | 40 | 40 | 46 | 47 | 63 | 46 |
| jolt-gw.nildram.net - 0 | 40 | 40 | 46 | 47 | 62 | 47 |
| 82.133.85.2 - 0 | 40 | 40 | 46 | 47 | 78 | 47 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

I live about 200 yards from my exchange an it has only just been adsl enabled so I doubt it would be a case of too many people on the exchange slowing it down. I was using IPCop to connect to the net but today have installed a Zyxel 662HW router which I was hoping would help but it hasn't.

I am also getting noise on the line when Im using my phone (which does clear up sometimes), Ive tryed 3 different filters but the same happens with all of them.

Is it common to have noise on the line ?? And can I report my high ping times to BT and expect something to be done about it or can the plusnet team look into it ?

Cheers,

Gareth.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

High ping times.

They are not high ping times according to BT - anything over 100 they would investigate, anything less and your on your own.

It looks like the high pings originate within BT i.e. the connection between you and the first plusnet router (the first item on your list) so this is nothing related to plusnets network as such.

You should not hear any noise when using your phone. Some low quality filters do allow noise to get through, so if all the filters are the same make, try to get another make and see if it improves.

What happens when you disconnect your ADSL modem and use your phone through the filters. Do you hear any noises then? Try dialling 1 and listen, you should not hear any crakling or noise. If you do, report your line to BT faults and ask them to investigate.
N/A

High ping times.

Hi,

Ive tryed disconnecting my adsl router and just pluging the phone in but the same thing happens. Ive also tryed 3 different brands of filter and all are exactly the same, I'll ring bt tommorow and explain the problem, hopefully they will investing both problems.

Cheers,

Gareth.
vic_newey
Grafter

High ping times.

It has been mentioned before I am sure, being 200 yds from the exchange does not necessarily mean your actual line is 200 yds, you may be on the end of a line that is routed in another direction for 2000yds before it gets to you.