cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High frequency modem noise on the phone when broadband is on

N/A

I get this when a filter is connected, and have tried a second filter known to work.... still get modem noise. Even when I plug direct to the BT master socket I get it on my upstairs line which is also BT direct (the line is split in a box outside the house. Any ideas anyone - does this sound like a BT line issue?
23 REPLIES
pacem
Grafter

You are putting a filter on each phone aren't you?

Paul.<><
N/A

No, just the master socket where my modem connects.
N/A

You have to put a filter on each of the phones.
N/A

From what I read on t'internet I was led to believe that I only needed a filter at the master where I connect to adsl, because the filter would prevent noise from the modem entering the internal wiring. Obviously this was bad information?

I also noticed that my modem fails to connect if another phone is connected to another outlet without a filter.

In any case, it doesn't help my speed issue.... a whopping 160 kbps.
shellsong
Grafter

Sounds to me like some sort of problem on the BT side of things particularly if a second line is entering into the problem

Messed up junctions and/or high resistance joints can cause high frequency ADSL signals to get modulated down to audio frequencies-- there was a bit of chat about this on ADSLGuide about a month ago
avalon
Grafter

From what I read on t'internet I was led to believe that I only needed a filter at the master where I connect to adsl, because the filter would prevent noise from the modem entering the internal wiring. Obviously this was bad information?

I also noticed that my modem fails to connect if another phone is connected to another outlet without a filter.

In any case, it doesn't help my speed issue.... a whopping 160 kbps.

Try disconnecting all phones/faxes/sky+ boxes etc and see if that improves your connection speed. If it does then try adding a filter to each phone connection and then plug the phones back in one at a time. If you find your speed drops again after adding a phone or filter that's likley where you'll find the problem.
N/A

http://www.voyager.bt.com/microfilters.htm

they say here: "..., it is imperative that every piece of telephony equipment must be filtered including telephones, fax machines and even simple tone callers.

This does not mean that every piece of equipment must have a filter, only that every telephone socket that has telephony equipment attached to it must have a Microfilter fitted first."

I am not well versed into that, but my understanding is that the microfilter does not prevent the modem signal from entering the cicuit of the house, but cuts off high frequencies for the telephone that is attached to it. I guess a modem can live quite happily with the low frequencies generated by a telephone conversation.

I don't know whether your low speeds are related to this issue though.
N/A

Thanks all, I've tried all these things and 160 is the max I get with everthing unplugged apart from the modem which is staight in to the BT master socket behind the cover plate. I used to get about 1Mb/s before I was LLUd. 19 days after logging a ticket, 12 days after raising the issue with Tiscali......... and guess what............. still slowband!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Fundamentally PlusNet shouldn't be putting anyone on LLU who has a long line due to the default snr being 12db whereas the BT default is normally 6db unless there are problems.
It sounds as though you are being limited by the default snr but regardless you must get the modem sound sorted as that is certainly causing problems.
N/A

Sorted as in fit a filter to each socket taking a phone, or do you mean get BT to check the line (presumably wholesale)?
Community Veteran

Re: High frequency modem noise on the phone when broadband i

(the line is split in a box outside the house. Any ideas anyone - does this sound like a BT line issue?
Can you give a little more information.
Do you have two telephone lines into your house with two different telephone numbers or do you have two lines with the same number.
N/A

2 BT lines in (one upstairs, one downstairs), same number for both.
Community Veteran

That really sounds like a BT problem but before jumping in can I suggest you post the problem in ADSLGuide in the BT wholesale forum here as they have a number of real experts who may be able to give better advice
N/A

Cheesy Hi m8, i have the same problem as yours, , do you have a cordless phone?, if so that could be your problem, once i changed to a corded phone the noise goes away. I hate corded phones so have kept my cordless phone in, so when someones rings me i cant hear a word they are saying grrrrrr. I have als contacted BT but they said my phone line is free from faults, ive also tried numerous filter changes but the noise is still there, i also have terribly low download speeds at around 10/30kbps with my 2mb connection, it usually takes me around 4/6 days to download a 4gb movie, The reason im mentioning the poor download speeds is because is there a possibility the noise problem is connected with my poor speeds?. Ive got the the point where i have had enough, i cant contact plusnet bye phone or email so cant get any help at all from them and have recently cancelled my account, any help is much appreciated, thx all kind regards Cheesy .