cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Ping

N/A

High Ping

Hi, im not sure if this should be in the gaming part but here it goes anyway.
I play alot of Counter-Strike Source and got in many different online servers on there. And for the past week or more my ping has been crazy, like 20 - 30 one minute.. then boom 700 ping the next. It has been constant now for more than a week, and as you gamers know its virutally unplayable when your ping is 200 or more. I was wondering whether this was happening to anyone else or a way i can fix it? Thanks alot, Mark.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

High Ping

Ping times can be affected by so many things but mainly it is caused by either re-routing of packets due to network / hardware problems between you are the destination server, contentiog / congestion on the BT centrals or something else using your bandwidth. Also MaxDSL interleaving can double/triple your ping times but this will tend to be a constant increase ratrher than varying as much as you are seeing.

To find out where the problem is you need to run a tracert to the destination IP. I use a windows app called WinMTR so next time you see high pings, run it and see where the problem is. If it is outside PNs network then there is nothing you can do. If it is inside you raise a ticket.

It is usually impossible to change/improve your ping times.
Highlighted
N/A

High Ping

Ah ok thanks for the reply mate. I think i sorted it though, it seems my Norton Firewall has been blocking then unblocking CSS Ports for some reason.. which would explain the high ping and low pings all the time. Its been fine since i deleted its entry in Norton and did a new one for it. I hope it stays the same. Thanks alot for the help though. Cheesy
N/A

High Ping

I get seemingly "random" bad pings. Usually only crops up if I'm connected to a particular IP address for too long. Traffic shaping I would think is the problem.

But then Plusnet isn't really a gaming ISP.
N/A

High Ping

Hi,

I also play CS (original), and I get a lot of lag too.

Very Very annoying.

At one point on Saturday, I have a constant 170ms ping to UK servers - not acceptable!