cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Latency, looking for suggestions

Lorian
Grafter

I have had 512k ADSL for over a year. The line has 58db attenuation, and an SNR around 22db. The line had been checked by an engineer and given a clean bill of health. Throughput is good. Various routers etc tried.

The problem is the FIRST hop latency (the one accross BT's ATM network) started off at 38ms and has crept up to 43ms, and for the last month or so it's averaging at about 60ms. Pretty poor for gaming. So far it seems impossible to get BT to do anything about this, Plusnet are still trying.

I have friends on the same exchange, also with plusnet who have around 18ms first hops.

I guess I'm plugged into a defective or wrongly configured DSLAM port or my path to plusnet goes some strange route (I'm in the midlands).

Can anyone suggest any other causes?

Can anyone think of anything (at a reasonable cost) I can do or order that would force BT to change the port I'm plugged into (apart from changing to 20:1 which is too costly).

Wholesale won't talk to me (suprise, suprise) .

Thanks.
3 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Have you tried ringing BT Faults.... 150....
Lorian
Grafter

Have you tried ringing BT Faults.... 150....

Sure, thet checked the line is ok.
N/A

I have had the same problem.

I raised a ticket with PN and extensive tests were carried out.

Nothing was found to be wrong and nothing could be done.

I was on the 1meg package and first hop was over 60ms. The strange thing is, I moved to 2meg today and it is now about 30ms!

Still a bit high compared to other users though!

So, if anyone has any ideas they will be greatly appreciated.