cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hibernate mode and broadband

marble
Dabbler

I often find that when my PC has been in hibernation mode (Win XP Home SP2) for any length of time, I can no longer connect to the internet when I wake it up

I have the Plusnet supplied Voyager 210 router but used to have even worse trouble with my previous ADSL modem

I usually try the Repair option for the connection but am usually met with a message that Windows is unable to effect the repair. On occasions the repair will work but the connection remains blocked

What I have to do is to restart the PC which is time consuming and a distinct nuisance as I am in the habit of using hibernate several times a day

I wonder if anyone else has experience of this problem and knows any way to avoid restarting?
13 REPLIES
Aterlatus
Grafter

It's shutting down power to your modem when it goes into hibernation which means you need to kick it to life again to make it work. You can do this by unplugging it and plugging it back in a few seconds later to save a reboot, but the better option is to just use a router - much more user friendly.

There *may* be a setting somewhere that tells your machine not to cut the USB power when it goes into hibernation, but I wouldn't have a clue where that could be found...
N/A

The Voyager series modems/routers come from the devil (ie BT) and give no end of problems.
Personaly i'd bin it and get a better router but yeah it sounds like its cutting power altho a true router has its own power supply and wouldn't do this.
could be you computers disconnecting the link between the router .. could be worth looking into.
marble
Dabbler

Thanks for the prompt reply but if you reread my posting, you will see that I am using a router not a modem

I have sometimes tried turning the router off and and when meeting the after hibernation problem but that hasn't worked

I've had a quick look at the power options for my PC but can't see any options along the lines you mention. Pity because it sounded promising

I'm now hoping someone else will have other suggestion
marble
Dabbler

Thanks for the prompt reply but if you reread my posting, you will see that I am using a router not a modem

I have sometimes tried turning the router off and and when meeting the after hibernation problem but that hasn't worked

I've had a quick look at the power options for my PC but can't see any options along the lines you mention. Pity because it sounded promising

I'm now hoping someone else will have other suggestion
Aterlatus
Grafter

Sorry yeah, I was a bit distracted by the baby cutting teeth when I posted - my bad ;p

What package are you on with plus? You might find if you're on an old package and you switch to a newer one you could get a free router out of it... /grin
marble
Dabbler

Thanks Tracer

Your message arrived while I was entering my reply (don't know why it is appearing twice in this thread) to the previous answer, so I didn't see it in time

As I mentioned my BT Voyager 210 was supplied by Plusnet, so it is a shame if it is an inferior model as you suggest
marble
Dabbler

Hi again Stershlock

Just like my previous message, we also have managed to cross in the post

Yes I did get the router free from Plusnet, they were very good about it. It is definitely better to my old ADSL modem
Community Veteran

Hi, I've got the same router as you, the BT Voyager 210. I've never used 'hibernate' before but I've just tried it and had no problems at all. Sorry I realise that this isn't much help but at least you know the router should be ok when the PC comes out of hibernation.

Bob

Edit - I've just had another thought. I came out of hibernation after only a few seconds. Maybe it's a time related thing?
Aterlatus
Grafter

Sorry Martin, definately one of those days. Think I need to go back to bed ;p

Next time it happens see if you can ping the router. If it's not responding to pings then it's not impossible your ethernet adapter is struggling with hibernation.

If that's the case, and latest drivers don't sort it, you could try begging/borrowing/stealing(ok, not stealing) a PCI NIC to test out.
marble
Dabbler

Thanks to both of you

Yes I have the feeling it is time related and does not occur if hibernation is only for a short period

I also have the feeling that the trouble is with the PC rather than the router

Next week I will experiment and see what happens with Standby in place of Hibernate

I'll also follow the suggestion to try pinging the router when I can't get back online - that's after I find out how to ping it!
Aterlatus
Grafter

Sorry Martin, didn't realise you'd need a guide ;p

Start > Run

Type "cmd" and hit OK

Type "ipconfig" and hit enter.

Look for the default gateway (if it's listed - if it's not then we've found your problem already!) and then:

Type "ping ip.of.default.gateway" and hit enter

Let us know:

a) What you see from ipconfig
b) If you get a ping reply or a "request timed out"
pacem
Grafter

You could also try "ipconfig /renew" (ipconfig /? should tell you if I've guessed the syntax right)

This should be enough to kickstart the ethernet card and ask the router for a new IP address. I suspect that after some time the router removes your entry in its tables and when you come out of hibernation the computer doesn't tell the router to update.

Paul.<><
Aterlatus
Grafter

That's exactly what happens when you tell windows to "Repair" a network connection. It just does a DHCP renew and a few other bits.

Even when that works, it's not an ideal solution. For the sake of a fiver you can just pop a new network card in ;p

If you're comfortable with it, check your BIOS settings - it may be something in there shutting off your NIC.