cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi all. Waiting for line and have just ordered my router. :)

N/A

Hi all. As the title says, I've just ordered my 2meg line today and am very excited. Also, I've ordered a router as I have a few friends that will be coming round often and then we can have a LAN game and all play games on the net. Anyway, the router I've ordered is the Netgear DG834, not the wireless one just the standard wired one. I'm just wondering if this is the best router to of gone far? I'm mainly going to be gaming so ping rates are important. Now, to where it connects, I'm wondering can it connect through the ethernet bit to my onboard LAN? I think I have gigabit LAN onboard? Is it possible to not have to put in a network card and have it through that?

The second bit is, how long roughly will the line take to be activated? I'm at the stage where my details have been accepted and it's performing inital tests. Thanks for all the help.

PS is there any people on here who play Medal of honour:Spearhead? If there is, I'd love to play a game, I'm in the top clan in Europe. :lol: ={UNA}=
4 REPLIES
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Re: Hi all. Waiting for line and have just ordered my router

Hi all. As the title says, I've just ordered my 2meg line today and am very excited. Also, I've ordered a router as I have a few friends that will be coming round often and then we can have a LAN game and all play games on the net.

The often quoted advice is don't order/buy any hardware until you know your line can have ADSL - i.e is activated. There have been several people who have ordered ADSL, bought their hardware then found BT have rejected it due to line length or line quality.

anyway probably too late for that now...

the router I've ordered is the Netgear DG834, not the wireless one just the standard wired one. I'm just wondering if this is the best router to of gone far? I'm mainly going to be gaming so ping rates are important.

Well how far do you want it to go Wink

You should not have any problems with ping times from that router. It is very popular so should give good service. Ping times can vary and are often the result of BT network rather than your router.

Now, to where it connects, I'm wondering can it connect through the ethernet bit to my onboard LAN? I think I have gigabit LAN onboard? Is it possible to not have to put in a network card and have it through that?

Yes - even gigabit Ethernet cards (or Motherboard Ethernet ports) will work with the 100Mb ports that the router has.

The second bit is, how long roughly will the line take to be activated? I'm at the stage where my details have been accepted and it's performing inital tests.

BT usually take 7->10 working days from point of order but it could be quicker or longer depending on BT resources available.

Moderators note (John) Missing quote tag fixed for you.
N/A

Thanks for the response. I am looking forward to having some good pings in game! Cheesy
LiamM
Grafter

On all cases that I have ordered broadband it's been very much early than stated.

Ordered my own line on the Wednesday, activated on the Sunday when it was supposed to be the following Thursday.

At work ordered on the Tuesday and was activated on the Saturday when it was supposed to be the following Thursday.

Ordered for a friend of mine on a Friday and was activated by the following Thursday when it was supposed to be the following Monday.

Perhaps BT are just efficient in my area Cheesy
N/A

early activation ? not currently in Scotland!

Hi Guys,

Word of warning for anyone in Scotland waiting on their exchange being enabled in current rollout.

My exchange was supposed to be enabled last wednesday (11th), I was speaking to a BT man on tues this week (17th) and the hardware for the exchange had only just arrived !

He was from down south as apparently BT underestimated the demand for adsl up here and they are shipping teams north and asking them to work 7 day weeks to catch up with the backlog.

At best I may have a line next week sometime.

Moral of the story.... dont be to impatient :shock:

Adrian