cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here We Go Again

donj53
Grafter

Here We Go Again

Speed under 2mb after a day of my router unable to get an adsl link.Do you jokers really think we'll believe that our equipment goes faulty for 2-3 hours and then miraculously starts working perfectly again but the speed is cut.The zip is hidden under the belt as I obviously zip up the back.
Btw can I pay for the 1mBit connection at say a fiver instead of the 8mbit connection that I've never seen.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Here We Go Again

Can I remind you that when you post in these forums you are asking for help from other members of the community.
Calling them "jokers" is possibly not the best way to endear them to help.

I see from other posts that you have replaced your router,and will assume that includes new microfilters.

If by "router unable to get an adsl link" you mean that you are not syncing, then that would be down to your phone line which is outside of PlusNet's control.

Chilly
karmi
Grafter

Here We Go Again

Plusnet have the best customer support I have ever had from an ISP, and I have used BT, Telewest, Virgin, Orange etc. So, the customer service must differ from user to user.

If your line loses sync, its not technically to do with Plusnet its down to the exchanges which BT manage, Plusnet are the middleman between you and BT when it comes to customer support. Line quality differs all over the UK and between exchanges thus your problem.

Problems are annoying yes, but you'll find yourself with alot more answers if you go about everything in a kind manner.
donj53
Grafter

Here We Go Again

Plusnet are BT or maybe I didnt understand the takeover.My point is I suddenly get sync issues so I go down in speed although I have completed every change required to make sure its not my fault.
ady
Grafter

Here We Go Again

well you will experience speed drops during peak hours
Community Veteran

Here We Go Again

Remember broadband is a "Menage a trois", sync speeds are not under PlusNet's control, and if as you say the fault is not at your end this leaves your BT phone line.

Personally I am limited to 3M when my line would easily support 4M, due to overnight noise on my phone line, which I blame on a local business.

Chilly
N/A

Here We Go Again

Plusnet are BT or maybe I didnt understand the takeover.

PlusNet are wholly owned by BT Retail, not the same company as BT Wholesale (who provide the majority of the infrastructure that PN uses). If you've ever used Dabs.com to purchase computer equipment then you've been using another company owned by BT, yet few people would say that they were BT (or even know who owns them).

The Sun and The Times are owned by the same media group, but few would say that they are the same paper.

At the present time PlusNet remains a wholly independent company with seperate brands and management- and long may this remain.
N/A

Here We Go Again

In answer to your original post (reading back) it looks like you have lost sync at some point, possibly due to a problem with your line, or a massive noise spike from an external source.

After the exchange detects an unstable line it reduces your sync speed in search of "stability" - pushing your signal noise ratio up in the process. This is BT Wholesale's method of trying to reduce packet loss and maintain sync on a noisy line.

Although BT are supposed to have "blip" logic to disregard short bursts of noise, it doesn't take long for your sync rate to noisedive.

If your modem or router consistently syncs at a higher speed for a period of three-five days following that then BT will restore your BRAs profile (perhaps your reference to zips?) which will in turn increase your maximum throughput (please note that actual throughput will depend on BT exchange contention and contention on the PN network). The actual BRAs profiled assigned to your line will depend on the stable sync rate acheived, see here for a table.

If you want to see your current IP Profile as assigned by BT visit the BT Speedtester, a guide to using this is here.

Also worth checking here after this is increased by BT as PN don't always receive delta reports from BT after an increase and you may need to raise a ticket to get it poked.

donj53
Grafter

Here We Go Again

OK I still get slightly over the 2 Mbit now after dropping like a stone from 4mbit.My point is that I am not at fault for the disconnects.I have spare equipment(even a router after my short-life one)which I tried.I know all about main box,new filters etc and I can assure you not one bit of my equipment wasn't tested out which means the problem was outwith my control and I got my speed bumped down by the compny who must have caused the problem.
I dont even expect to see the 4Mbit I used to get ever again as getting the superb BT(oops the company I think caused my problems and own the company I'm complaining to,speedtest program to work seems to be remarkably hit and miss.Unfortunately this is the only way I can raise a fault ticket.It's been running for 45mins now and is still on the first screen.
I really dont care about how you are independent,I work for a small company which was taken over and I now have to follow their orders and criticising them is not a great idea.