cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with ping test

chrisco
Grafter

Help with ping test

Hi All, could any of you clever people out there - I know there are many - please tell me what it means when the heartbeat element of a ping test fails & moreover should I be concerned? I've tried to help myself by Googling it but have just succeeded in frying my brain even more :? I read that it could be something to do with a mail server being down, as I don't have one is it anything to do with the email prob with PN?
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Help with ping test

What exactly are you trying to do or check with ping?

Ping just sents out a special packet of data (normally 32 bytes) and waits for it to be returned by the destination IP address. It then times how long it took on the round trip and prints this as the ping time.

There are many causes for pings to fail from your own software firewall not allowing it to go out or the reply to return, to your router blocking it either way, to any router between you and the destination blocking it to finally the destimation either ignoring the ping or can't reply because it is offline.
chrisco
Grafter

Help with ping test

Hi Peter, I was doing a connectivity test as I was having a problem after changing my password details, although that's now sorted.It doesn't seem to be causing problems was merely curious.