cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with new connection please?

N/A

Can anyone help? I am new to Plusnet and have just installed the drivers and plugged in my new ADSL modem. I can get a connection (at least the link light is on and my username and password were accepted) but I can not browse and web sites with Internet Explorer. Do you have to make any settings here? I noticed that the DNS server addresses were not set in the TCP/IP properties so I typed these in but it didn't help. I am connecting via dial-up on another PC at this time
4 REPLIES
N/A

You should see some kind of connection in the system tray. You should be able to connect and surf ok if you have set the dns up.

You may to tell explorer to automaticaly dial a connection and make sure the adsl is the main connection. Sometimes you have to turn off the dial in explorer. It sound as though explorer may try to dial a modem connection.

try connecting and then typing ipconfig /all and let us see the reuslt. try doing a tracert to www.plus.net
N/A

Have you got any firewall running and set up for dial-up and not your new DSL.
That will stop you browsing with IE and getting mail.

If you havn't got a software firewall, I would get one anyway.
N/A

Many thnks for the pointers everybody. I have got my DSL connection running on another "clean" PC. Never been used on a network or Internet and no Firewall. So you guys are right on the money. As a Newbe it's good to know there is somebody in Plusland who can help. Thanks again
killiedel
Dabbler

Are you running Service Pack1 on win-xp?
If not, you can not access web pages.