cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with a wireless set-up please

N/A

Hi
At home I am running two Desktop PCs and a laptop.
The two desktops are hardwired into a LINKSYS WAG54G Wireless-G ADSL Gateway. The laptop has a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHZ Notebook adapter.
The two desktops work fine with the broadband cannection. It is with the laptop I have problems.
The laptop broadband works fine provided I use it on the desk where the WAG54G is located or in very close proximity to the room. Elsewhere in the house it fails to connect.
The house is a 1920-30s building with solid interior walls - mostly of brick and breeze block. It is a chalet bungalow so I do not have easy access to gap in the ceiling and the upper floors as these are virtually sealed.
Ideally we would like to use the laptop in any room in the house. I am happy to buy signal enhancers or a better broadband adapter but I do not understand sufficiently about networks and wireless to allow me to do so without advice.
I would really appreciate some help and would be very grateful.
I did not install the network myself but a technical colleague of my son did it. When I queried the poor performance of the wireless link he could only suggest we also hardwire the laptop, but this is not what is needed. I do not think he understands much more than me about wireless connections.
Thanks for reading this.
regards

John
5 REPLIES
N/A

I have the Linksys 354G Wireless-G ADSL Home Gateway,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000A2IV2M/202-9373961-7007801
I wonder if your 54G has the same internal antenna arangement.
If so, I find the range is very much improved if you open the small flap on the top of the router and screw on an antenna, the sort that comes with a wireless network card.
With this done I get a good connection anywhere in the house and beyond, it also picks up two close by unsecured networks.
N/A

Thanks

Thanks Paul for your help unfortunately the WAG54G comes with its own arial and has no place to put in another.
Cheers
John
N/A

You can get replacement aerials that boost the signal - the best place I have found is Maplins. Just unscrew the existing aerial and screw in the connector. The cables are about 1metre long so you can get the aerial higher up in the room. The aerials start from about £10 and go up to £40. I have the one with the magnetic base for £14.99 and it has improved the signal throughout my house and into the garden!
N/A

You don't have a 2.4Ghz video sender nearby do you (or a close neighbour)? These can render anything but the strongest wifi signal useless.

Just a thought - often environmental factors are the culprits in WiFi installations.

Roly.
N/A

Thanks Treenet and Strongfamily.
Somoneelse has suggested I go for a wireless access? I have ask them for and explanation of what this is.
Happy New Year to you both.
Thanks again for the help.