cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Slow ADSL Connection

N/A

Help with Slow ADSL Connection

I have my ADSL connection up and running, having installed a netgear FA311 network card into the PC and wired up using a Netgear DG814 Modem/Router.

However doing speed tests using ADSLGuide.org is generally giving a speed of between 320 and 380 kbps and sometimes as low as 200. ADSLGuide reports an average around 450kbps for plusnet so I would like to understand why I don't get this and whether I have a problem to solve.

I am running Windows ME and the FA311 card shares IRQ 11 with the AGP video card. I have already run the speed optimiser on the PC.

Do I have a problem and how do I diagnose it ?
12 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Help with Slow ADSL Connection

Have you run tests on the +net speed tester?
N/A

Just did the same thing and got 470 upstream (estimated true of 507) and 243 downstream (estimated true of 262).

Are you sure you didn't have another window updating or your e-mail client wasn't polling at the same time?
N/A

> Just did the same thing and got 470 upstream (estimated true of 507) and 243 downstream (estimated true of 262).
>
> Are you sure you didn't have another window updating or your e-mail client wasn't polling at the same time?

N/A

Have you also modified your MTU to 1458

Ali
N/A

Yes I have run the optimiser which changes the MTU.

If I power down the modem/router, when I power it up again I get an impossibly slow connection for an hour or so. i.e. It runs so slowly it times out, and even the router's config web page takes ages (minutes) to load. An hour or so after power up things have got much better and I get 200-300 kbps.

This seems weird - is my router faulty - is the network card faulty - does the router only work when up to temperature ?

When I find time to play with tracert I will raise a support case, but is my hardware faulty or the line faulty ? I don't understand what could explain these symptoms.
N/A

Goto www.dslreports.com/tweaks and run the tweak test then post the url of the test result here.
N/A

Here is the url of the test result...

http://monitor.dslreports.com/tweak/block:3c6b69f?service=dsl&speed=512&os=winME&via=normal

The plusnet bandwidth meter has just given a result of 209 kbps.

Any ideas on a diagnosis/explanation ?
N/A

Hi

Your MTU is still set to 1500. Suggest you download DrTCP from the same web site and try the following setting:

MTU - 1430
TCP Receive window - 13900

(These setting seem to give the best speed I get 478/248 with them)

It does no harm to change the MTU on each of your network cards using the Adapter setting drop down box and also on the Dailup RAS setting. After making these changes switch off wait 20 seconds and restart.

Go back to www.dslreports.com and redo the tweak test to make sure the MTU has taken. If it has try the speed test again.

Cliff

velmanatov

While the average speed for PlusNet broadband may be pretty high you may just be one of the unlucky ones for whom that 50:1 contention ratio is coming in to play. As well as local usage factors, a whole host of physical factors on your line may also be slowing you down compared to the average user.

Surely this is going to become more and more of a problem as ADSL uptake increases (and people find more and more ways of eating up that bandwidth on a more constant basis) by the way?

velmanatov

...oh... and on the MTU theme. I haven't tried any of the tweak utilities - but presumably they change the setting for a modem OK - but make sure you change the MTU setting on your router too.
N/A

OK I have changed my settings as you suggested.

I have also loaded updated software for my DG814 from the netgear site which allows the MTU on the DG814 to be set. I have set this to 1430 the same as the PC/network card.

Here is a new test result...

http://monitor.dslreports.com/tweak/block:5b0465c?service=dsl&speed=512&os=winME&via=pppoA

which seems to say things are OK.

However I am still not getting anywhere near 450Kbps. Speed testing on DSLReports gives e.g. download 135, upload 255. Why does upload exceed download ?

I really don't think this is a contention problem because I never appear to get full speed at any time of the day or night. If it was contention surely once in a while I would get full speed.

Any more help or ideas ?

I raised a plusnet ticket but didn't really get a useful response.

N/A

Well you have eliminated the MTU setting as being a problem and if you've got poor speeds it must be due to something else.

By the way you didn't need to change the MTU of the router only the network card. As long as the packet size is less than the router MTU they just pass through.

Your transfer rate in the test indicates all is reasonable (and is similar to mine).

Try doing a 'netstat -an' at the command prompt window, just to check you have no other services operating whilst you are doing a speed test and make sure no one else is using any other computers attached to the router.

Don't get too hung up on speed tests by the way. Better to try a large download and observe the transfer rate. If your up at 55/60 KB/s you've nothing to worry about.

Also its not worth doing any of the speed tests on dslreports as too many other factors effect the result, so use the plusnet test.